• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked frame rail @ steering box

SkatingPenguin

NAXJA Forum User
1997 cherokee sport 4.0 automatic and all stock w/ about 280k. The crack is just ahead (towards bumper) of steering box and top side of rail. original SB and bolts snapped off in January this winter. replace with new SB and new I had quite a large crack due to previous front fender bender but was not proactive. Now, 7 months later all 3 bots snapped and hopefully I can thread out the portions sticking out the opposite sides. So, I've found a wealth of knowledge in here, repairs, etc, but have a few questions as I try to game plan how to attack this issue. Some things I'm curious about as well. I don't normally do my own repairs except the small things. something like this I'd probably get some oversight from some friends who have the more serious tools and experience. Its been my daily driver since purchase, original owner, and woulld like to keep it going.

1) has anybody gone the route of purchasing the OEM part (Mopar #4798085AB side rail/member)? I see it on Wholesalemopar.com for about $700.00. Is it the money for everyone? Or is it not the best avenue for other reasons?
2) I understand i may have to clean up the area should I go the direction of the weld repair. I know people who can assist with that.
3) i've seen the addition of a bracket and bar that span across to the opposite rail to another weld to prevent the SB from moving left to right. I'm not sure I'd need to get that so far but its an interesting support.
4) Also see the option of adding frame stiffeners, of course after I clean up the area.

any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't necessarily need a write up sent my way since I've identified a few threads but if you have something at your finger tips send it my way.

lastly, trying to upload photos w/o using a link.

Thanks

Depends on how bad of a hit you took on driver front corner. I had similar damage to rail. I added front stiffeners and added a good bit of steel to rebuild bumper mount then reinforced the inner rail.

Depending on your damage, a piece of angle welded in there might help hold things together. I had some rotational flex before I beefed things up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Speaking from experience. I ended up scraping my XJ after it cracked the unibody. Was more work than I wanted to put in. I also got a MJ out of the deal so was a win in my book.

Do as trippled suggested and go with the crok kit. Also frame stiffners are a must.

Back