• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil spring rubbing bump stop mount.

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
I nave new re3.5" coil springs, longer fixed rough country lower control arms, and a re adjustable track bar (it is centered) all newly installed. My passenger side coil is rubbing pretty bad on the bumpstop mount. I have noticed the slots for adjustment in the frame side lower control arm mount and by looking at the slots the passenger side sits all the way back in that slot while the driver side is about 1/2-3/4 of the way forward in the slot. Could this be the possible cause and if so can I just loosen the bolts of on the back side of the bracket and the lower control arm and adjust it out to correct the rubbing?

This is also still present after having a alignment done 2 shops have told me they don't know whats going with it.

1) Pictures ?
2) Find a real Frame and Alignment shop with some gray haired Techs. Retail tire stores that also sell alignments are helpless and clueless.

You should have a adjusting shoe in there but if your vehicle is in full alignment you might have a bent frame.
OldandNewcastershims.jpg

Yeah those are what I was talking adjusting. Doesn't look like either sides has any shims but one is definitely set back farather then the other whenight looking at slot in the bracket where the control arm passes through

Only if you pay for it!

Find those shims at a junkyard and center it up. the side that is off, is a good 3/4 to an inch to far back. The drivers side is maybe a half inch to far back. Make sure those control arms have matching part numbers/ lengths.

While you're messing around in the area you may want to straighten out you brake hard line as to lower the mounting point of the rubber brake hose. Bend the steel line gently, redrill and bolt the mounting plate down and slightly forward of where they are now. This will prevent the hoses acting as limiting straps.

Shimming isn't going to help if the control arms are too short, or if the "frame" or the frame side control arm mounting point is bent.

You need longer control arms to cure the coil spring rub, you should buy adjustable lower control arms. Depending on the amount of lift you have you may want control arm drop brackets. Drop brackets will move the axle forward slightly, but will not compensate for what looks like a bent frame/mounting point. If the frame is actually bent, you should buy adjustable lower control arms. Adjustable upper control arms may be optional, depending on the amount of lift you have and the pinion angle required.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat. longer fixed control arms that are for the lift. My shims look like they are not set properly.

Did you ever find a fix?

Back