• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Rolls 800ft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very sad indeed, but this shows you how important a seatbelt is.

-Mike

even if they had been buckled i wonder how the jeep held up, 800 ft is a long way

Trail wreck kills couple

Springs family's SUV rolls down mountain; 2 children injured

By Jim Kirksey Chi-Chi Zhang and Brenda Duran
Denver Post Staff Writers

Colorado Springs - A Colorado Springs couple were killed and their son and a friend were seriously injured when their Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled off a mountain trail on Colorado's Western Slope.
Daniel Gluklick, 50, and his wife, Jeanine, 47, died at the scene Saturday when their sport-utility vehicle rolled about 800 feet down a mountain, said Sgt. Lawrence Oletski of the Colorado State Patrol.

Cole Gluklick, 11, and Ian Nordstrom, a boy whose age wasn't available, suffered multiple injuries and were airlifted to St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction.

All four were ejected as the Jeep went down the embankment, according to the accident report. None were wearing seat belts, Oletski said.

The accident happened on Forest Service Road 869 on Imogene Pass, about 3 1/2 miles east of Telluride, Oletski said. The pass is 12,000 feet in altitude.

Advertisement

Gluklick was in critical condition and Nordstrom was said to be in serious but stable condition Sunday.

The initial investigation has ruled out weather, speed and alcohol consumption as possible causes of the accident.

"At this point it looks like unfamiliarity with the road," Oletski said.

Edward Gluklick, Daniel's father, said his son was an experienced trail driver. It was an activity the family did a lot, he said at his Michigan home.

"He was a very skilled driver," the elder Gluklick said of his son. "Something really strange and unusual must have happened for him to lose control."

Edward Gluklick said Daniel did classified work for the military and worked on cars in his spare time.

The couple have two teenage daughters, Edward Gluklick said. He identified them as Corinne, 18, and Chloe, 15.

"He was very much an asset in everything he set out to do, and he was my best friend as well as my son," Edward Gluklick said.

He described his daughter-in-law as "absolutely delightful" and "a wonderful mother."

The news came as a shock to close neighbors of the family.

Bob and Cindy Sabol said the small acreage Gluklick lived on in the Black Forest area didn't have a house on it when the family moved in about eight years ago.

They lived in a garage, heated with a wood stove, cooked on a Coleman stove and divided the single room with sheets for a year while they built their home, Bob Sabol said.

Neighbors kiddingly called them "the pioneers."

They had horses, dogs and goats. Jeanine Gluklick raised Cashmere goats competitively and sold the wool locally.

Jeanine also ran a small day-care out of her home, and the boy with them in the accident was a youngster she had cared for since he was an infant, Cindy Sabol said.

The Gluklick's were described as "a strong family unit" that often participated in activities together.
That is a very tragic accident. Does anyone know how it happened?

Starboard M said:
That is a very tragic accident. Does anyone know how it happened?
Isn't this the one that the links got posted to a while ago? if so what happened was he pull off a bit on the trail to let someone pass and once he was getting back onto it he climbed with one side a pile of rocks and then he went over cause it rolled him sideways of the trail.

Very sad indeed, but this shows you how important a seatbelt is.

-Mike"

I don't think a seatbelt would have saved them on this one. The survivors are probably alive beause they were ejected from the vehicle and didn't get crushed.

Seatbelts can help you in some situations, I don't think that is one of them.

-Copperhead

i'm no doctor by any means but i also happen to agree.

This is a tragedy, and I don't think seatbelts would have saved them in this case, but the fact that they weren't wearing any indicates to me that they were either ignorant of the dangers of off-roading or they didn't care. Which ever it was, I suspect it contributed to this accident happening.

Kejtar said:
Yeah, but they have a better chance inside then if they're thrown from the jeep.

Mulita said:
Totally Agree!!!

Yeah, I'd have to agree on this side. Vehicles today are designed to crush and deform but keep a safety cage around you. Yeah, no replacement for a good ol cage, but generally people who stay inside a vehicle are better off than those who get thrown out. Although my one bit of experience shows the guy who got thrown being better off...damn, kinda blows my theory...I stick by it tho based on stats and tests and such

From what I understand, by the testimonials about the guy, it is foolish to think that he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. If I were in that position and fixing to fall off of a mountain, I would unbuckle and try to bail. Why wouldn't they?

Okie Terry said:
From what I understand, by the testimonials about the guy, it is foolish to think that he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. If I were in that position and fixing to fall off of a mountain, I would unbuckle and try to bail. Why wouldn't they?
would you be willing or even able to bail while your kids still sat in the backseat?

red91inWA said:
if you kids dont come first, TRY FOSTER CARE..
You're right. However, They were all ejected from the vehicle which could also mean the dad told everyone to bail. Unless you all have all forgotten, the Grand Cherokee has four doors. When the "Get the hell out, NOW!" command is given, everyone in the vehicle should know what that means and proceed to the nearest exit. Unless someone in the vehicle isn't able-bodied, there is no reason to doubt whether someone knows what that means or not.

Don't think it's not painful for me to imagine my family and myself in the same situation. However, while my judgment may not be the best when it comes to myself, I know that I wouldn't willingly put my children in that much danger up on the side of a two-track mountain road.

You should know what your limitations are. Your children depend on them even after they've grown up and left. You should have no compunction telling them this is what I can, and cannot do.

Once again, the kids come out on the short end...800 ft is a long way when its DOWN...

Back