• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BAttery clamps troubles

T3hk1w1

NAXJA Forum User
I've got kind of an odd issue here. I am replacing my battery cables, and the new clamps I got are too large for the posts on the battery. When fully tightened there is not enough contact to allow the engine to start. I had to shove some stripped 12 gauge wire between the post and the clamp just to get the engine to start. Any suggestions? The clamps are military-style from O'reillys, and the battery is a cheapo from Walmart that came with the Jeep. Replacing the battery is not currently an option...

Well if two things don't fit together, and you know you're not gonna replace one, pretty clear you gotta replace the other. You could always just leave it 'rigged up, but why would you?

I have seen steel wood screws used between the post and where the bolt goes through the clamp, but it is very ghetto... who knows how long that will hold...
next time, measure.... :twak:

good luck

maybe they sold you the wrong wires? did you compare them to the old ones before installing them?

:p They are brand-new clamps... at $6 each I really hate to just toss them...
The wires aren't at fault, I just finished making them :)

Take your new clamps off and contour them with a hammer for now then replace them on your next trip to the parts house (O'Reilly's) or just place a strip of aluminum over the battery post and tap the new clamps down over that forming a sort of bushing until the proper size can be found.

Hmm...I've been trying to figure out where I might find a strip of copper for just that purpose, aluminum might work though. I may just get a cheap set of clamps and put these back on when I upgrade to a decent battery. Going to the store again tommorow anyway...

I don't know what "Military Type" Battery clamps are, but the local farm implement store sells two kinds of clamps, the lead ones with a clamp for the cable, and steel ones with a post and spade lugs to attach your copper cables. Over the years, I have found the lead ones suck badly, so I went with the steel ones. Very nice. The local truck equipment store also sells solder on brass clamps which are very nice also.

If you won't replace the battery to fit the $6 clamps, then you best replace the $6 clamps to fit the battery.

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
I don't know what "Military Type" Battery clamps are, but the local farm implement store sells two kinds of clamps, the lead ones with a clamp for the cable, and steel ones with a post and spade lugs to attach your copper cables. Over the years, I have found the lead ones suck badly, so I went with the steel ones. Very nice. The local truck equipment store also sells solder on brass clamps which are very nice also.

If you won't replace the battery to fit the $6 clamps, then you best replace the $6 clamps to fit the battery.

Ron
Ron the military type refers to the type with a bolt that you can attach multiple cable ends to. Like the posts on marine batteries with the butterfly nuts for quck attachment/detachment points.

Are you using the clamps that we spoke about. The ones I posted in this thread... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=943514&highlight=battery Your battery posts might be worn out if the old terminals have been on and off and overtightened a bunch of times. We(O'Reilly's Auto) have battery post shims. They fit over the battery post then you put on the terminal on like you would normally. I might be safer then sticking pieces of wire in the to tighten it up. Here is a pic of the military style terminals on my install.
batterywiring001.jpg

magimerlin said:
. We(O'Reilly's Auto) have battery post shims. They fit over the battery post then you put on the terminal on like you would normally. I might be safer then sticking pieces of wire in the to tighten it up.
I've used those before (they worked well), they are way better than using a screw jammed between the clamp and post. They are basically a cap that covers the entire post making larger.

Putting a new end on the cable would probably be the best solution although the caps are probably only a dollar or two cheaper.

Yeah that's the clamp I was using. I just went back to o'reiilys and got a set of brass marine-style terminals, now it starts up fine but is idling rough, and at 450-500 RPM instead of it's normal 800RPM :tear:

By the way, can anyone tell me if an AMG fuse (150amp) marked "32v" can be used in a 12 volt system?

Back