• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnnie Walker's MJ project

Glad to hear, I look forward to even better lighting. The upgraded harness definitely helps, ans better bulbs/housings will make it even better.
The other night, when it rained, I was definitely thankful for the upgraded harness, and aux. lights I have.
I put those headlights with harness in my 2001 XJ and it is simply amazing. One of, if not THE best mod I did. You will like it.

I used the 100/80w bulbs in the e-code lenses. The cut-off is fantastic and just as good as my wife's 2014 Taurus SHO. I took the time to focus them correctly and to date have not had anyone flash me at night on the low beams.

Ordered these H4 conversion housings, along with some Hella 100/80 bulbs.
http://smile.amazon....ailpage_o00_s00
I figured I would give them a shot for the price, I figure if they suck I can return them to amazon.

Also, ordered a set of the RE 9900 CAD-brackets from a seller on Amazon for LESS than the RC kit!
Hopefuly I will be riding in better comfort soon.

I have these installed. I dont know why but I have no high beams with them. Might just be an issue with my stuff. Curious if they work ok for you.

I have these installed. I dont know why but I have no high beams with them. Might just be an issue with my stuff. Curious if they work ok for you.

Having high beams or not has nothing to do with the housing the headlights are in. You either have burned out filament on the high beam side, or your harness is messed up somewhere.

we saw this happen with a buddy coming back from the rubicon, but he had no low beams . we swapped relays and it was fine. the relay was bad.

Having high beams or not has nothing to do with the housing the headlights are in. You either have burned out filament on the high beam side, or your harness is messed up somewhere.

I think my phone misquoted the part I was talking about. I meant the bulbs he listed. They came to me as single filament.

we saw this happen with a buddy coming back from the rubicon, but he had no low beams . we swapped relays and it was fine. the relay was bad.

This weekend I'm going to take my housing back out and verify what I just said. It was only after installation did I come to the conclusion that the bulbs were single filiment (but that was looking through the glass at that point). I also put in a new harness so its entirely possible this has been the issue. I installed this harness though as I don't trust the Putco one.

Last edited:
The picture of them on that link shows Autopal inscribed in the glass front of the lenses.

that is super tempting for 43$ shipped. I already upgraded the harnesses and headlights on both jeeps though.

Ill let you know how they work out.
that is super tempting for 43$ shipped. I already upgraded the harnesses and headlights on both jeeps though.
I guess I did notspay that much attention to them specifically.
The picture of them on that link shows Autopal inscribed in the glass front of the lenses.

Not too much to update. On my days off it has been raining, and was spending most of my off time with family. My sister and her husband left for Japan again last week.

Received my DBO stubby recovery bumper just after new years. My friend is going to paint it for me. I want to upgrade the steering box spacer at the same time I install the bumper.
Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will install my adjustable LCA's and CAD brackets.

Also, still need to install my new H4 housings/bulbs, and "reverse lights"

DBO stubby bumper w/ receiver installed. Bumper and brackets painted by cencal96xj 's dad, Brent!
Plan to add tube or plate "wings".

Thinking about how to mount my LED lights and license plate.

Are there cheaper alternatives to the Curt 50$ receiver mount bracket?

Last edited:
Not much to update. Been DD'ing my MJ.
Just picked up this bike friction shifter kit on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321824209751?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Going to run a hand throttle. Much cheaper than the kits from RE, Teraflex, and whomever.

I did have a successful trip to Big Bear for SoCal Fest.
Changed out the water pump a couple days before, as it was making a grinding noise and almost appeared as if the pulley was going to fall off.

Still 2WD, but I got new UCA bushings for my WJ D30. Will install those soon, and clean up the axle and get it read for install.

Update.
Purchased a 4wd ax15.
Will be purchasing new cv shafts for WJ 30. Along with other brake parts to 'rebuild axle ' Picked up a D30 ubolt yoke.
Bought flywheel and clutch off rockauto.

So are you going to be doing the WJ swap on a 30 or tying to throw a WJ 30 under the MJ?

So are you going to be doing the WJ swap on a 30 or tying to throw a WJ 30 under the MJ?
WJ 30 into MJ. From my measurements, the mounts are very close to what XJ is. Got the complete WJ 30 with Ballistic fab dif cover for a really good price. It has matching 3.73 gears and the vari-lok LSD.

I figure that since I am running JK wheels anyways, that the bit of extra width of the axle will enable me to not need to run wheel adapters/spacers.
So, I figure, bigger brakes, better steering + inexpensive = win.

Back