• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnnie Walker's MJ project

I finally was able to remove the utility bed from my MJ. It looks like a real MJ again. It's nice to have even better visibility than before.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D-bmmDa0TCRqdbJniJmFZONdgYYzAqrkgg/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pv8iYhFCBccLJyOLNpdf7sUDBH7wFKhexQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_E3JlZ9hukF3U2xUnhV-YLvg1XCPOgfxTw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jq6aaDVD78hVj-VyrN23COEJm_tDM5O-vw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PuTv8VMLqRDC_i7N5iickqBAFVQiVxheLw/view?usp=sharing
Hope those links work.

Next up is a little bit of body work/paint. And exhaust. Hopefully, I can get the heep weight and finally reg'd.

The MJ weighed in at a whopping 3180 lbs! The lady, whom took care of my vehicle verification at the DMV was much nicer than the guy who said I should come back. Total wait time was about an hour. Not too shabby for the DMV midday. Got it registered/insured and is 100% legal to drive meow.

Broke something in the Turdy5 at the beach. Thankfully my friend Nick was able to help me out. Truck is sitting at one of my buddy's shop. I picked up some parts from him recently, so he is going to help me out.

Im supposed to have a line on one, but the person is lagging.
May end up with "Super Turdy5" for meow, but we shall see.

Pulled/picked up the 8.8 axle this last week. Got it over to my buddy's shop. If the tag is correct, which looks like it is; It has 3.73's and limited slip! Was hoping for 4.10s, but better than 3.55 or 3.07s. My understanding is that 3.73's are the most common of the exploder axles.
Good news, was able to get pretty much all the accessories that I need, brake lines, park brake cables, etc.
Bad news, driveline was MIA. SO, I either need to get a companion adapter, or a yoke.

I took a couple pics of the spring brackets, they should work out just fine. Here are the couple pics I took of those.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xgqd97bLbp0PP2NbFW5ndJ1TxJTlanoWPQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zRpQAELYLawmEFxws1Fwr2oTNLXXSA9fwA/view?usp=sharing

Unlike the MJ brackets that have a stud, the shock mount is double shear. Stronger, better? Who knows. But they should work out nice. I will be picking up some new U-bolts from work when it gets closer to setup. Hopefully, in the next couple days after work I can go cut off all the stock mounts and prep the axle for install. Plasma cutter FTW!

yeah, 3.73s are the common ratio. v8 ones.

You'll not find an easy source of HP 3.73 factory axles. I had one once, lawncher ordered it from the factory.

lots of v8 LP grand cherocar 3.73 axles if you're trying to get that done on the cheaps until you regear all of it.

not sure wha tyour wheel/tire plans are, but you'll need spacers for anything more than 9" wide on stock wheels or it will rub the frame in the rear when it flexes.

yeah, 3.73s are the common ratio. v8 ones.

You'll not find an easy source of HP 3.73 factory axles. I had one once, lawncher ordered it from the factory.

lots of v8 LP grand cherocar 3.73 axles if you're trying to get that done on the cheaps until you regear all of it.

not sure wha tyour wheel/tire plans are, but you'll need spacers for anything more than 9" wide on stock wheels or it will rub the frame in the rear when it flexes.

I am keeping my JK Moab 17's, which require a wheel adapter anyways. At least for the time being since I have perfectly good tires, I will continue to run my 265/70R17 Yoko AT-s tires. Approx a 10.5 wide, 31.5" tall tire.
As of now, basically still haha, My MJ is 2WD so, the Exploder axle will work just fine.
I have a line on a complete WJ D30, for a very good price, with 3.73's and the vari-lok LSD. I know that I will need to modify the brackets and such to run it in my MJ. But it would have a little wider stance, AND crossover steering!, in the front and I would not have to use wheel adapters. I will pick up the WJ axle regardless of swapping into my MJ or not. But would be nice to have, since when I convert to 4WD I would not have to regear anything unless I wanted to.

When funds allow it, I've thought about running a c-clip eliminator in the 8.8, which would also give it a little more width. But that is for down the road. Unless I find a set of nice 1-ton axles to throw in it. But, at least with the 8.8 LSD I should get decent traction in the sand.

c clip eliminator is not worth the money at that tire size.
an 8.8 with 32's on it is bombproof with stock 4.0 power.

keep your adapters, WJ axle sounds like a good plan, I'm not sure what bracket differences there are but they can't be that significant since the WJ arms fit the XJ with light mods.

get the LSD rebuild kit from ford racing. it's probably not too limited slip anymore.

Since the WJ axle and vehicle is wider, I would gather that the coil buckets and CA mounts are not in a correct position. So, I figure like the exploder axle, cut off mounts weld on new correct position mounts and run it. Ruffstuff has some brackets for cheap, Poly Performance does too and they are local.
The exploder I removed the axle from had around 80k miles IIRC. SO, should be alright for now. I will look into the LSD rebuild kit.
I also have some Amsoil 75w-110SevereGear oil that I will be using in the diff. My lube locker gasket should be here tomorrow.
I definitely apreciate your input, do you know an average or approx price for the LSD rebuild kit?
c clip eliminator is not worth the money at that tire size.
an 8.8 with 32's on it is bombproof with stock 4.0 power.

keep your adapters, WJ axle sounds like a good plan, I'm not sure what bracket differences there are but they can't be that significant since the WJ arms fit the XJ with light mods.

get the LSD rebuild kit from ford racing. it's probably not too limited slip anymore.

looks like just the strikers need to be modified from what ive found.
Other than electronics, Yes. Removing old striker and installing a newer style is what it takes. The old GM lock cyl even work in the newer doors!

Thank you for your kind words. I attempt to make it better any chance I can.

My MJ is at my friend's shop currently. I'll have to look through my pics. But my friend that I bought the truck from did it. I need to re do them. There was an article in a jeep mag that was johnnyc old mj. He may have pics of his as well.
You basically, remove the old striker. And line up the new striker with the door latch. The new striker has a plate that goes behind the sheet metal and bolts to that

I did some quick measuring and comparing of brackets and mounts WJ axle VS XJ axle.
Upper and lower mounts seem to be about the right width apart. The coil buckets appear to be slightly further apart. Since I know that not all things are created equal, what would be an acceptable width difference to run as it is? More than likely, I will pick up a set of Ruffstuff Coil buckets anyways.

I'd probably run it if they were offset a 1/2"
anything more than that will give a noticeable badness to the coils.

Back