• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power lock problems on '99 XJ

Jeremy 99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've found tons of information on this for earlier XJ's but couldn't find anything specific to the newer models. Apologize if I'm hasta I have only been able to lock my driver's side door with the power lock intermittantly since I bought it. Sometimes it works fine, but others it only goes halfway and I half to lock it manually after I get out. I opened the panel and couldn't diagnose anything misaligned but perhaps wasn't going about it right. Anyone have this problem or a recommendation on how to solve it?
Thanks,
Jeremy

The wires that lead from your drivers door into the body are stretched quite tight straight from the factory.
This causes intermittent speaker, window, and lock failure.
Pull the boot that covers the wires coming from the door and see if you can free up any slack to give the wires more play.
I have done this so many times its not funny.
I was on the highway with the wife last week and her window would not go up, so she opened the door at 70 mph and jiggled the wires. When she shut the door again, the window went right up.
Yours may also be a relay problem, but give this a try.
HTH

The wires that lead from your drivers door into the body are stretched quite tight straight from the factory.
This causes intermittent speaker, window, and lock failure.
Pull the boot that covers the wires coming from the door and see if you can free up any slack to give the wires more play.
I have done this so many times its not funny.
I was on the highway with the wife last week and her window would not go up, so she opened the door at 70 mph and jiggled the wires. When she shut the door again, the window went right up.
Yours may also be a relay problem, but give this a try.
HTH
I know its old... but i was doing some searching and just laughed at what your wife did...

Reviving a thread, sorry, but I'm having a somewhat similar issue...

My question is if the actuators would still make noise if this were the cause? Only the driver's door and hatch actually locks and unlocks, the pass door switch works but doesn't budge any locks but the driver's door and hatch.

The first thing to do is to clean and lubricate the locking and latching mechanisms. Use throttle body cleaner and a light oil. I prefer a CLP type gun oil with a long lasting cleaner additive.

Cherokee door wire harness and master switch issues are common, some Google-fu work on the topics will help you diagnose and fix any issues. Actuators can be tested by applying 12 volts directly to the wire plug.

My rear doors have a similar problem. To unlock the you have to hit the button while simultaneously trying to manually unlock the door.

I'm hoping they are just gummed up and require a good cleaning/lube job!

The first thing to do is to clean and lubricate the locking and latching mechanisms. Use throttle body cleaner and a light oil. I prefer a CLP type gun oil with a long lasting cleaner additive.

Cherokee door wire harness and master switch issues are common, some Google-fu work on the topics will help you diagnose and fix any issues. Actuators can be tested by applying 12 volts directly to the wire plug.

This will work fine on the 84 - 96 door latch and actuators.

The 97+ XJs use a different set up with a combination latch and actuator assy. Normally the gears strip out internally on the latch/actuator assy. Replacement seems to be the normal repair. If the actuators make noise but will not lock or unlock then a new latch assy is in order.

Great, "assembly" is a Greek word that roughly translates to "entire week's salary ". Nonetheless, I appreciate your input Bryan. With 235,000mi it doesn't surprise me that they're worn out.

So, to clarify, the key would still unlock the door, correct? I apologize for all the questions, it's my first xj that's had power windows and locks.

Cleaning is cheap and easy. Old gummy lubricants and embedded grime will stall out the power locks.

At 210,000 miles my 1999 door locks are clean, lubricated, and work just fine.

This issue just started on my 2000 with 186,000 miles. I can here the relay clicking in the passenger side kickpanel when I activate the power lock switch on either the driver or passenger door, but the door lock motors are not working. I suspect a voltage drop in the circuit.

If everything is clean and lubed, voltage drop or bent operating rods would be the next logical things to check.

Sorry to jump in on someone else's thread,but having a similar issue that I couldnt match symptoms with using either the search function or general web searching.

99 XJ sport. Power windows/locks.

Like so many others, problem seemed to start when I pulled the front door panels to replace speakers. Since then, the front drivers door won't lock with the key, nor with the power lock switch or the remote start fob. Also won't with the inside manual switch.

I've pulled the panel and adjusted rods to no avail.

Intermittently you hear the click of the lock "engaging", but the mechanism the rod attaches to in the door doesn't move. Other times, and more often, I hear a buzzing or whirring from the lock solenoid/actuator(?) as if it's free wheeling.

I've pulled the front pass. Door, which works fine still, to compare, but can't see anything wrong or different that would make the drivers inoperable.

I can manually move the lever the door lock rod is connected to inside the door, but can't tell how/where it attaches to the actuator to see if there's a disconnect. I can also manually move the rod from the door panel end and move the lever inside the door.

Bad actuator and over-tweaked rod? I'm at a loss.

..... problem seemed to start when I pulled the front door panels to replace speakers. Since then, the front drivers door won't lock with the key, nor with the power lock switch or the remote start fob. Also won't with the inside manual switch.

Should make one suspect bent or incorrectly arranged operating rods. Actuators can be tested by applying 12 volts directly to the actuator.

I messed with the lock rod more after posting, and appears that it may have been binding/catching on the rod for the door handle. After more tweaking and testing, finally got it into a position where it will now lock and unlock with both the key, and the inside manual switch.

I spray-cleaned the actuator and spray-lubed it as well, manually working the lever inside the door that the lock rod connects to a few dozen times to allow the lube to do its job. It doesn't appear to take any more force to manually move the lever in the drivers door than it does in the passenger's, which works fine.

So still getting a buzzing/whirring sound from the drivers door lock actuator. I can "feel" the buzzing when i'm touching the lock lever and using the power switch to try to lock/unlock, so there's definitely power being applied.

Is it the connector/wires that runs along the bottom side of the door panel, and plugs in just below the lock mechanism that powers the actuator? (Probably an obvious yes as it seems to be the only source of power that runs into that part of the door, but i've been fooled before!).

Also for testing purposes, does it function the same as a power window switch, in that it applies/reverses current for locking/unlocking the door?

I pulled my 97 front passenger side actuator apart to clean and lube and found it to be horrible to reassemble. I don't remember exactly but something about a spring under tension and a rotating piece that kept popping off before I could get a covering plate on it. Took forever for the universe to align and have it all go back together it seemed.

I just spray the cleaner into the whole deal, work the mechanism while spraying, and let it dribble out the bottom.

Last edited:
I know I'm reviving this thread, but I was having very similar issues with my '00 XJ. I replaced the DDM and PDM, repaired wiring, checked fuses, etc. all to no avail. I was at a total loss. Finally I read somewhere that someone had a wire shorted under the dome light assembly. So I thought "What the heck, might as well check it out." So I take it down and lo and behold, my XJ was born with keyless entry. I proceed to unplug it and try the locks, and they work correctly. No more bound up actuators, tweaker locks or anything. I just don't have operational keyless entry on a vehicle I never knew had it in the first place. The best I can figure is that the receiver shorted out to the unlock circuit and was keeping the actuators in the unlock position, effectively disabling the locking mechanism. Couldn't rock the lock/unlock button or lock with the key. Hope this helps!

I was at a total loss. Finally I read somewhere that someone had a wire shorted under the dome light assembly.

Now this is interesting.

Yesterday, on my ‘99 Limited I found the interior was damp following recent rains. I’m not sure if the door seals have started to leak or if I had left the windows open a crack. When I went to drive it, the door lock actuators started going crazy, intermittently trying to lock and unlock the back doors. I also had water dripping from the overhead console, which I assumed was condensation from the general dampness. I had no idea the issues could be related. I guess I need to take the console out and try to see what’s going on up there.

Back