• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I got back from deployment, and started setting up my home theater and bar. Not to productive, but fun.

Almost got my brothers car back together, waiting on the bumper cover to show up. Also did some house cleaning.......fun stuff!

Picked up some V8 Explorer injectors from the local pull-a-part for my 97 and swapped them in and right now the results are awful. I even reset the ECM memory and idle is very rough, throttle response is pitiful, and I am getting CEL. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

Tore apart a customers 258 today.... went to do a valve cover gasket and coolant came shooting out a valve cover bolt hole when I pulled it, oil on the rockers looked milky and the pan was wayyyyy overfilled. Sufficed to say the heads going to the machine shop tomorrow... I might get a floorpan job out of it too, its his dads 83 cj8 that he's keeping in the family

Ben ~

Which injectors are they?

Not all 5.0s are created equal.

Check this out.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92236

Welp, Yesterday (The only day I had all day to work on stuff) my step dad called and said his Tahoe was grinding when he stopped and my brother in law hasn't drove his XJ in the past 2 months because he needs brakes. He's been taking his girlfriends car everyday. His girlfriend happens to be my wifes best friend. Since they're friends my wife goes and gets her since he has her car... Needless to say I called him and told him to get his ass to my house cause we were going to fix his Jeep so my wife would quit running around getting his girlfriend! Gas is expensive. Did that make sense?

So, I did the brakes on a Tahoe (All the way around) and did the front brakes on a 85 XJ. That's the first time I've done brakes on an early model so I had to go buy the T-45 torx and the damn reverse Torx set... By the time I got all of that done I had a few minutes to work on my junk which I used to clean my shop up. Looks much better now.

Today, I got up to do some winterizing.

Drained and flushed the coolant system in my Trail rig. I've yet to fill it back up yet since I'm not satisfied with the flush job.
Flushed the coolant system in my DD. It was nice and clean so I refilled with antifreeze and called it good.
Did the same thing to my wifes DD.
Then I changed out the plugs and wires on my DD, changed the oil, cleaned it out, vacuumed and spent the rest of the time trying to diagnose my oil usage issue. I've had several people suggest 'Restore' and Marvel mystery oil. I went to the store and poured one bottle of each in the oil.

Now, I'm on the couch.

2 questions for you.

1: Whats the most effective way to flush a rather nasty coolant system?

2: What do these plugs tell you? My 93 4.0 uses about 1qt of store brand 20w50 per fill up. It smokes noticably at idle. The CCV/PCV system seems like it's working correctly.

These plugs were put in it somewhere around a year ago.

1-6, left to right
2011-12-11_14-40-38_282.jpg

Last edited:
I got the yellow/orange "stick" injectors from a V8 explorer as those were really the only ones I could find. I did some research and quite a few guys said they were running them with very positive results. Do these not work well on a 97?

I'm not sure about those. I used the injectors out of a 98 2.4 Dodge Stratus (You'll have to find 2 of them since they're 4 cylinders) to go in my wifes DD. I seem to have gained about 3mpg with that swap. Chrysler part no. 04669938

andy what about me some for my stroker? do the research lol. mine are clogging up and will missfire every so often. 98 xj lol

:rolleyes:

andy what about me some for my stroker? do the research lol. mine are clogging up and will missfire every so often. 98 xj lol

I'm not sure about those. I used the injectors out of a 98 2.4 Dodge Stratus (You'll have to find 2 of them since they're 4 cylinders) to go in my wifes DD. I seem to have gained about 3mpg with that swap. Chrysler part no. 04669938

Well finished mini boatside........
Have to fix a few rust holes by this coming weekend I will start cage finally
Aj liz told me if I finish cage by xmas her and her mom are going in to get my top put on by a pro........ The guy at the marina she worked at
I need help!¡!
Last weekend is this weekend coming up to finish u close?

O BTW keep this on here dont think anyone is suppose to know

ive got to get the front tracbar made. then tap the steering box.
front will be done. other then drive shaft.
then the rear will pretty easy. guess i'm going to hve to look up the ford main leaf to stretch the rear a bit. or drill a new hole in the main leaf

1: Whats the most effective way to flush a rather nasty coolant system?

2: What do these plugs tell you? My 93 4.0 uses about 1qt of store brand 20w50 per fill up. It smokes noticably at idle. The CCV/PCV system seems like it's working correctly.

These plugs were put in it somewhere around a year ago.

1-6, left to right
2011-12-11_14-40-38_282.jpg
This is how I flushed mine I had a ton of problems turned out the idiot before me must have put in a ton of stop leak and never bothered to replace the coolant since it was built.

What year is the XJ mine has a valve on the passenger side at the bottom connect a hose to it and let it drain out. I use a 5 gallon bucket its easier to manage. Once you let all the coolant drain out tighten the valve up and disconnect the hose from the drivers side bottom of the radiator let it empty into the bucket again.

Now the block will be drained and the radiator will be drained what i did was removed the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing, remove the thermostat and housing. Flush out the block with a hose. Then do the same to the radiator.

Connect everything back up and put one gallon of undiluted antifreeze in then one gallon of 50/50. Check the level and make sure to fill the coolant bottle. Crank the XJ up let it run for a few minutes check the level make sure every thing is full. Drive the XJ around your neighborhood until it gets warm and make sure nothing is leaking and your coolant bottle is full.

And your done. Make sure while your in there to replace the thermostat and thermostat housing gasket, check all hoses make sure there not soft, if so replace them now's the time.

Also on the second note doesn't white plugs mean its running lean?

ive got to get the front tracbar made. then tap the steering box.
front will be done. other then drive shaft.
then the rear will pretty easy. guess i'm going to hve to look up the ford main leaf to stretch the rear a bit. or drill a new hole in the main leaf

2wd F150 main will streatch the wb about 3" from my experience. If you can find it the MJ main will do the same.

Back