• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump problem

rain164845

NAXJA Forum User
So, I replaced my fuel pump and gas tank 100 miles ago. The fuel pump is ac Delco and it has started HOWLING. The only thing that stops it is taking a hard left turn. After a left turn it is quiet for about 5 seconds.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Also, it takes a while for the whole to start from cold. Maybe a few minutes

Many, many years ago my fuel pump started making noise. I did a search and found that this vibration had a fix requiring fuel pump removal and the removal of some sheet metal. I decided to run it until it failed. That was about 200,000 miles ago and it's still running. Likewise, the noise eventually went away. That was my experience.

Best regards,

CJR

I figured out part of the problem. I thought the gas gauge was broken. Turns out that it really was empty. I filled it up and it still makes a racket. I'll test the pressure and go from there.

You know, maybe the whine is where I bypassed the fuel pump ballast and I'm overworking the thing.

The ballast resistor? Not having it shouldn't be any strain on the pump, the XJ was designed to run without one. It was only added to make the pump quieter.

I deleted mine something like 10 years back, never noticed a difference.

Back