• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 motor mounts

Joecat

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 2.5 xj and the motor mounts are welded on. It looks factory,they look nothing like the ones on my. 99 4.0 , has anyone else run into this problem? I could not find any comments on this using the search on naxja.

I have a 98 2.5 xj and the motor mounts are welded on. It looks factory,they look nothing like the ones on my. 99 4.0 , has anyone else run into this problem? I could not find any comments on this using the search on naxja.

You're talking about the mount with the rubber that bolts to the body, right? I'm pretty sure they're not welded from the factory. The pictures on RockAuto, they look pretty similar to the 99 4.0 ones. You need to undo the nut from underneath. Previous owner have an issue and just weld them on?

No,they are welded on and it is a factory job, they donot look anything like the ones rockauto sells
to fir a 98 ,2.5,5 speed. The transmission mount is of the same design as the motor mounts and rock auto does not offer it either. Somebody else on naxja should on a 98/2.5/5 speed/xj with a similar setup and run into this,

No,they are welded on and it is a factory job, they donot look anything like the ones rockauto sells
to fir a 98 ,2.5,5 speed. The transmission mount is of the same design as the motor mounts and rock auto does not offer it either. Somebody else on naxja should on a 98/2.5/5 speed/xj with a similar setup and run into this,

It may look like it was professionally welded, but the factory mounts bolt on!

I do not want to start an argument but has anyone of you actually looked at a 98/2.5/4cyl/5 speed xj? This one uses a grand Cherokee style mount, and the transmission mount is the same design, rockauto does not list this mount for the 98, xj ,2.5,5 speed.

Both the 97 and 99 FSMs show the same drawing for the 2.5l engine.
29xiuxi.jpg

jk8w1k.jpg

Last edited:
It is a 98, I can not explain it ,what is on the xj is nothing like these pictures,why would I make this up? But the welded motor mounts and the "unusual transmission mounts"look very factory. I am sorry but I don"t have a way to furnish pictures,just hoping some one dealt with this before.

It is a 98, I can not explain it ,what is on the xj is nothing like these pictures,why would I make this up? But the welded motor mounts and the "unusual transmission mounts"look very factory. I am sorry but I don"t have a way to furnish pictures,just hoping some one dealt with this before.

I'm just as curious as you, not sure why it doesn't look like what the FSM says it should.

JeepDriver said "Others have run into this problem.", maybe he can shed some light on this?

Last guy that had this problem found out that some of the export models used mounts similar or the same as the diesel mounts.

Is the mount more round in shape?

Yes the part that holds or contains the rubber is round,the grand Cherokees also used a similar round mount. The transmission mount also uses a round mount,looks just like the motor mount. The transmission mount has bracket on it to support the exhaust pipe? The round part that holds the rubber is not use as a puck or cushion but is mounted vertical with the bolt running through it horizontal ( right to left or left to right) just like the bolt on motor mounts pictured in the FSM
I have a camera,it's a 35mm Manolta and cannon 35mm ,no working digital.

Ok, this is the digital age, you need a digital camera.

You must have one of the rare XJs that was meant for Canada or the UK. I looked on Ebay UK and could not find your mounts.

The round portion of the mount is replaceable, NAPA has a book with about 100 styles of mounts, you'll have to remove the insert and get it matched.

Or, you can make your own, as I did.

I found what I needed on cherokee forum, they were on a 2000 xj 2.5 2 door, mine is a 98 2 door. Jeep driver was right they are very similar or maybe diesel mounts Chrysler was using up. The are welded to the xj motor mount stands,am trying to send photos.

Very similar except mine are welded to the motor mount stand. I found part numbers for the diesels 52059201ac/ 52059200ac ,trying to find them. It appears the motor mount stands are regular xj stands they have mounting holes under the welded on mounts. I have bought digital cameras ,from Sony disc to cannon all died.

Jeep Driver,Google 52059201ac and go to images,a few rows down are photos of the mount from direrent angles and a few of the odd transmission mount. If you go to mopar with this number it shows a bolt on motor mount like the one in the photo you posted. Chrysler don't you just love them!

Back