• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper control arm bushing alternatives

Fidget360

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any alternatives to the stock upper control arm bushings? mine are shot and I need to replace them soon.

91 4.0 6.5" lift with 33's

You can get some rebuildable bushings that go there. RK used to send them out in their kits. I'm trying to find them but haven't had any luck yet.

What do you mean alternatives ?

Stock rubber bushings are good for 150,000 + miles, poly bushings probably last even longer, and there are all kinds of flex joints similar to those used by lift kit makers.

I mean soemthing that's *hopefully* easier than pressing the old ones out. My stock bushings lasted a lot longer than 150K. I'm at 247K and they just recently started making noise.

I think I found a set at Rocky Mountain Suspension products, but the description is rather ambiguous, but it sounds liek the rigth thing. and you don't have to take the old ones out. it says to leave the metal sleave in place.

I think I found a set at Rocky Mountain Suspension products, but the description is rather ambiguous, but it sounds liek the rigth thing. and you don't have to take the old ones out. it says to leave the metal sleave in place.

Meh, it's simple to get the old ones out. Once you get the rubber part out use a sawsall to cut thru the bottom of the sleeve and the top of the sleeve.

The cheese ball poly replacements aren't worth a crap. Or they weren't for me anyways.

Last edited:
6 cyl? 8 cyl? or does it even matter? (I imagine not)

Doesn't matter. Got the idea from Cal a few years back and did it.

Stock XJ UCA bushings have knurled sleeves. WJ UCA bushings have what feels like a different rubber material and a solid, correct diameter sleeve.

WJ left, XJ right (slightly used :laugh:)

n41902041_30953296_9731.jpg

Stock UCA bolt.

n41902041_30953295_9424.jpg

Ironman4x4fab has new bushings/sleeves.

groovy. are they available at Napa, or do I have to go to the stealership?

groovy. are they available at Napa, or do I have to go to the stealership?
napa should have them. You can go on napaonline.com enter your zip and search for the part. If they have it it will be on their site.

Check out genright. They sell a Driver upper JJ that you can throw in. Its what I did. I was going threw those bushing every couple trips and they were such a PITA. I know currie sells a JJ kit. Its like $180 and you get a new pass upper mount with the JJ in it. Something to check out

Anyone have a part number for the WJ bushings? I've checked a couple of places and they only had listings for a complete pair of replacement UCA's.

Haha I hated doing that job. I only got the driver side bushing in and out and what a pain. I think it will be easier to just cut the passenger side bracket off and weld a new bracket on.

If you have an air chisel, they usually come right out, bushing included. About 1/2 the axle end bushings will pound out with a BFH. If not, remove the bushing, ( with a propane torch or a hole saw) and the shell can be chiseled and collapsed with a few blows. A ball joint press will push the new bushing right in.

Back