• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Introducing myself

bmpweXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for some time and though it should do a formal introduction...

My name's Brandon. My mechanical experience is higher than most, but probably alot less than most (if not all) of you guys. I grew up with crappy cars with a lot of problems. While I understand how just about everything from the initial air, fuel, and spark combustion, pushing the pistons, spinin' the crank, transferring to the transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, diffs, axels, then tires. That being said I've never done any internal engine work and know very few of the specifics of above.

I bought my '99 XJ about 7 months ago. I got a pretty good deal, it came with a RE 3.5" superflex. I've been piecing together parts here and there off of craigslist. It won't be a daily driver, but I want it to remain comfortable enough for trips out to Colorado.

What I have waiting to be installed:
Ridgid rock rails, front and rear 4.56, 35" MT/R (yeah I'll be doing alot of cutting and bumpin') and RE control arm drop brackets.

* I was aiming for 33", but got a killer deal on the 35"... now I just gotta make them work.

Where I'm going:
I'm aiming for the low COG approach. That said, over the course of the next 2 months or so, I'll be piecing together a 4.5" RE superflex kit. I have most of the kit now, just waiting for a few pieces here and there. I'd like to try to stay with this height for a while, if it's not enough I'll try going to 5.5"... but that's getting a bit high for what I'm interested in.

Anyways, that's me. If you guys have any suggestion on where I am and where I plan on going, please let me know. I look forward to wheeling with ya'll.

-Brandon

Welcome!

I see that you have a plan... Better than most of us. We do have a great collection of people in this chapter with great know how... Kinda.

I look farward to meeting out on the trails and wheeling with you.

Hey Brandon. I'm Alex, know as Sparty around here. Good to see someone with a plan around here. lol. Are you related to Flores? Just a thought. Anyways, i'm the cook around here, whenever we have meet-n-greets or wheeling trips. Working on a culinary degree, that's why. And, you're probably going to laugh at my Jeep when you see it.

Hey Brandon. I'm Alex, know as Sparty around here. Good to see someone with a plan around here. lol. Are you related to Flores? Just a thought. Anyways, i'm the cook around here, whenever we have meet-n-greets or wheeling trips. Working on a culinary degree, that's why. And, you're probably going to laugh at my Jeep when you see it.

Lol, no why do you ask? He is though, the oh one here Ive met. Bought some tires from him. We appearently were born in the same hospital (in Phoenix) and I might be movin to Denver in the next year.

Are you specializing in a specific area for your degree?

Not yet. Just getting the basics over with right now. I attend Le Cordon Bleu in Dallas on the afternoons, after I get out of high school. After May, i'll be working on my business degree, and then specializing in a culinary field.

I attend Le Cordon Bleu in Dallas on the afternoons, after I get out of high school.

*snickers* (damn kids!)

What kinda wheeling are you wanting to set the XJ up to do? Based on what you've said so far, I HIGHLY recommend that you check out ExTankerGuy's rig. It shouldn't be hard to find, there are like 8 million pics of it here and in national rags! (geez, we almost sound jealous when we talk about it :roflmao:)

Welcome

*snickers* (damn kids!)

What kinda wheeling are you wanting to set the XJ up to do? Based on what you've said so far, I HIGHLY recommend that you check out ExTankerGuy's rig. It shouldn't be hard to find, there are like 8 million pics of it here and in national rags! (geez, we almost sound jealous when we talk about it :roflmao:)
Well, mud's a pain in the ass, just a lot to clean up afterwards (and I atleast, never seem to be able to get it all) and climbing rocks just to climb them doesn't interest me too much. Neither bother me if they're in between me and where I want to go - they're just not all that interesting.
Basically, I love being outdoors and want to be able to explore and feel my Jeep's gonna be able to handle most of what I throw at it. IOW, I'm not gonna go looking for a whole lot of trouble. (notice I said alot.... I might look for a little :guitar:)
In addition to what I mentioned above once I get the suspension tackeled I'm gonna move to armor (bumpers and stuff below to slide across), then drivetrain.

Frankly my XJ is in pretty damn good shape, I just crossed 100k miles last month. I'd like to keep it looking reasonably nice and possible use it as a promotional tool for the business I'm gonna transition into in a few years.

But yeah, Extankerguy's jeep looks great. I'm jealous of those axels.

Last edited:
Two words..... "rock rails". :D

If I were you, which I am not of course, I might be tempted to sell the 35's and opt for smaller tires. We have some folks here on 31's and 32's that have excellent expedition rigs that will take them through some pretty interesting places.

Two words..... "rock rails". :D

If I were you, which I am not of course, I might be tempted to sell the 35's and opt for smaller tires. We have some folks here on 31's and 32's that have excellent expedition rigs that will take them through some pretty interesting places.
:cry: I know, I know... and I really don't want to hear that...lol I got them for $125 a piece (including the 6 lug 16*12 steelies) and they've only prolly got 1000 miles on them.

I've been beating myself up whether I should keep them or sell them and I think I'll just find some 33s to use.

As for the rails, I've allready got a pair in the back, just aching to get put on. I build a makeshift rig yesterday out of 2x4's to hold them up so I could take some measurements and mark where I need to be drilling. My next few weeks is very busy, going to Denver this weekend. Hopefully I'll get them on after that.

Thanks for the hard advice.:doh:

Last edited:
yeah it does seem to be a very diverse group of ages, but then you look at mentalities.....j/k I have no room to talk or judge.

MM acts like he's 14.

Welcome.... You should try to come to one of our events. Whether you wheel your rig or not, our events are always a blast.

Welcome.... You should try to come to one of our events. Whether you wheel your rig or not, our events are always a blast.
You bet, man. I work full time (sometimes up to 70 hours) and am a full time grad student at UT Arlington. Atleast I don't have a wife and kids.

Needless to say, I'm a bit busy, but if I can be at the next one, you can bet I will.

I'm nearly positive I'll be able to make it to the thing in Hot Springs next month.

Idk if I'm going to the event next month or not. I might if I get enough funds. Bmp said he had 2 extra seats, so im sure I can go with him if I go.

It will be worth it just for the camping, and socializing together. Sparty if you go next month, lets move that bet to then, and since you are so sure you can do it, that would be $20 to go towards the funds you need to attend.

Back