• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange noise after gear Install

cdhowell

NAXJA Forum User
After going to 4:56 from 3:07 I have a strange, almost harmonic noise that comes in and out, about 70 mph. It seems to be in the rear but hard to tell. Quick Details, 97 Xj 8" Skyjacker lift, Tera SYE, 5-speed AX 15 I think Running 33's. Tru-trac front HP 30, open 8.25 rear. Noise is not steady ,but has a constant rythem. Hard to describe sounds. Maybe it was always there but did not see enough rpm in the drive train till the gear swap. Any Ideas?

did you do the gears yourself? ive been told that if your gear patern and backlash are not set correctly (within a few thousandths) you will get noise and once it starts making noise it won't stop unless you change your gears out again.

Your drive-shaft is spinning a lot faster now and that could be your problem. Drop one at at time and see if the noise goes away.

Yes I did the gears myself, and I am not new to gear installs. Pinion depth is set to spec on gear set and backlash at .007 calls for .005 - .009 A friend with a TJ is going thru the same thing at 70 mph. also running 4:56 and 33's . His is a D35 rear

I'm having the same issue. Went with 4.56's and running 32's with my RPM's about 2900 at 70. I took the front ds out and it didn't make the sound go away. I also have a slight vibration at that speed. My rear ds is pretty dented up so it could be that.

I attribute it to the higher RPM's.

Back