• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AAA Rant

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
AAA charges $35 extra to tow a lifted vehichle even though it requires no additional equipment and makes it easier to strap down. :flamemad:

Don't get me started on them... They sent me a tow then decided they wouldn't pay for it cause I was on a gravel road. Slid off a road in Hood River and they wouldn't call a tow and transfered my call to Washington State Patrol. Left me out in the woods without much of a care. And btw, Washington AAA covered more of a tow than Oregon would... Go figure

I don't have any trouble with AAA.

On a side note - if you're getting hit with a surcharge for towing a lifted vehicle, that's the tow company, not AAA. Various tow companies contract with AAA for their tow rates - but any surcharges are yours to bear. That's got nothing to do with AAA (I've talked to a few tow truck drivers to find this out.)

AAA doesn't have an "in-house" tow service, that I've seen. I know all the AAA hookers out here are contractors, and work directly for other outfits. You just see the AAA sign on the side of the truck, usually on the door near the main logo.

5-90 said:
I don't have any trouble with AAA.

On a side note - if you're getting hit with a surcharge for towing a lifted vehicle, that's the tow company, not AAA. Various tow companies contract with AAA for their tow rates - but any surcharges are yours to bear. That's got nothing to do with AAA (I've talked to a few tow truck drivers to find this out.)

AAA doesn't have an "in-house" tow service, that I've seen. I know all the AAA hookers out here are contractors, and work directly for other outfits. You just see the AAA sign on the side of the truck, usually on the door near the main logo.

it was a AAA driver they have a few in house drivers, I also have the AAA plus which pisses me off, They will tow me 100 miles without issue, but <10 with 33" tires and now I have to pay exrtra fees.

X2 on it being a local tow company who got the AAA contract. I believe you most likely bought the driver his dinner and a six pack with the extra charge. You should contact AAA and verify with them what they actually charge and if they truly intended for the extra charge to be added. It would be a good idea to ask for a written fee schedule from AAA - not from the local contractor.

Metal Thrasher said:
X2 on it being a local tow company who got the AAA contract. I believe you most likely bought the driver his dinner and a six pack with the extra charge. You should contact AAA and verify with them what they actually charge and if they truly intended for the extra charge to be added. It would be a good idea to ask for a written fee schedule from AAA - not from the local contractor.

it wasn't one of the contractors, AAA verified on the phone that this one was in house.

Never heard any problems with AAA, plan to get it asap. When your vehicle leaves you stranded miles away from anything.. why the hell not have the backup?

Back