• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Im knee deep in an aw4, and have tried everyrhing i know to find this.

What year? Are you referring to the "sprag"? Have you called and spoke to them?
6504403__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:
89 4x4 w 4.0
Its not the part above.
I need the 8th part that goes into the case. Its on the right side of line "D"
I called them and they cant get it because its been discontinued.

You said #977 from the diagram, is that not correct?

You said #977 from the diagram, is that not correct?

I believe he’s referring to this spring retainer that I have in my hand. You won’t find many of these because, believe it or not, most rebuilders don’t remove these. There’s a special tool that you need to compress the piston and remove the snap ring, I ended up making my own that consisted of a thin strip of steel bent into a u shape and done all thread
8a26128319a46ce15733972966034687.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dcollins, that is the exact part I'm talking about. My "puller) tweaked it a bit and since I'm still waiting on parts and kits to show up tried to source it here.
No doubt that most builders don't remove it...... BUT, there are 4 orings behind it that seal 3 apply pistons. One of mine was leaking when I did the air test during disassembly, so I didn't have a choice but to remove the return spring (item 977). Maybe this could explain the horror stories associated with rebuilding these boxes???
I managed to dig up the mopar part number for an entire kit (item number 567), and found the 1 place on earth that had it for sale. (Ebay) It will be here Tuesday.

updating this for everyone considering a rebuild on the aw4......
Prepare to see people respond with " it will be way cheaper if you go get one from the boneyard for 70 bux. While true, you would assume some risk, and depending how bad and how soon you need it done, may end up being cheap, but an option for you.

I did the entire rebuild, start to finish, in about 3 days.
I printed an ATSG, and made a binder that had the protective clear plastic holders with 3 holes on the. Really saved the pages as I turned them with fluid filled glove hands. later, I would just wipe em with a rag and were good as new.

Don't let this box scare you. although I'm no expert on transmissions, when you have as much knowledge on a forum like this, its gonna be pretty hard to have an unanswered question.
Hardest part of the entire rebuild was getting the transmission to pass all of the air tests Followed closely by getting the big snapring in front of the overdrive support off and on again.
I did it alone, with a harbor freight floor jack and a piece of wood.

It can be done

updating this for everyone considering a rebuild on the aw4......
Prepare to see people respond with " it will be way cheaper if you go get one from the boneyard for 70 bux. While true, you would assume some risk, and depending how bad and how soon you need it done, may end up being cheap, but an option for you.

I did the entire rebuild, start to finish, in about 3 days.
I printed an ATSG, and made a binder that had the protective clear plastic holders with 3 holes on the. Really saved the pages as I turned them with fluid filled glove hands. later, I would just wipe em with a rag and were good as new.

Don't let this box scare you. although I'm no expert on transmissions, when you have as much knowledge on a forum like this, its gonna be pretty hard to have an unanswered question.
Hardest part of the entire rebuild was getting the transmission to pass all of the air tests Followed closely by getting the big snapring in front of the overdrive support off and on again.
I did it alone, with a harbor freight floor jack and a piece of wood.

It can be done

Glad to hear you were successful!

Back