• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust manifold and exhaust recomendations?

cocco_78

NAXJA Forum User
01, 4.0L, auto, all stock, with a cracked exhaust manifold.

I see there are a lot of different brands of replacement exhaust manifolds out there, any in particular that are cheap and good?

Also i'm about due for a new muffler and tailpipe, i see Dynomax is having a rebate on their cat back systems. Seems like they have ok reviews and the sound isn't terrible. http://www.quadratec.com/products/77608_801_07.htm

My OE replacement dorman header works great for stock engine. It has a lifetime warranty on it too, so if it cracks, I just need to take it back and get a new one.
I'm interested to hear what folks have to say about the exhaust, though. I need/want to replace mine from the header all the way back with something in the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 in range.

I run a Thrush Welded muffler and love it. For the money I don't think you'll find a better muffler. Cost me $30 through Summit and took it to an exhaust shop to weld it all up with new pipes. Has a nice sound does have some drone on lower range but I'm fine with it.

I DD mine as well it's not an annoying drone and you only really hear it going <15 and up around 2k rpm. Mine is the most noticeable when I'm 4 wheelin going up a incline with the windows down. Past that nothing gnarly. Are you looking for something close to stock then?

yeah 2k rpm is right at highway speed, right where i spend 90% of my time lol, it would drive me nuts. yeah looking for a better than stock quality replacement. I don't care if its louder outside, just trying to avoid the drone inside.

It's not loud on the highway, just under 15 mph when I'm wheeling with the windows down. Plus i'm sure some of the "speed holes" on the under side of the body aren't helping the sounds inside...... Check out some sound clips on you tube.

haha, yeah i've been listening to 4.0L exhaust videos most of the day today at work... I had a magnaflow on my last truck and it sound great, low and powerful, no drone on the inside.

The dynomax cat-back while cheap under rebate time doesn't last too long if they use salt in your area, so I wouldn't recommend it(buddy's didn't last 3 years and I see the one I inherited from dad has holes in it). Get a stainless steel Borla or Magnaflow muffler and get a 2.25" or 2.5" stainless steel tailpipe from Mandrel Bending Solutions.

No Banks on this one, its a $1500 XJ with 200k miles on it. Just looking to fix up a couple things on it so I can continue to DD back and forth to work 40 miles a day.

No Banks on this one, its a $1500 XJ with 200k miles on it. Just looking to fix up a couple things on it so I can continue to DD back and forth to work 40 miles a day.

You could also have an exhaust shop just re weld the manifold. Had this done on mine when the was rebuilt. It was cheap and it worked. It will depend on the size of the and the location of the crack though. Past that maybe go to a JY and pull a decent manifold.

So here's something else I just found out as I bought a newer 01 XJ to replace my 93. In 00-01 pre cats where added. Not 100% sure if yours has them but from just about everything I'm reading it was across the board. If your's does then it changes everything around your manifold. So that manifold you listed would not work.

If we are talking about an XJ without the mini-cats & on a budget then you may do as Dan suggested and go with the Dorman with lifetime warranty. I have one on my 97 XJ. I bought a muffler from Advance when they had a sale to replace the beat up Flowmaster. I kept the factory downpipe & tailpipe.

that's probably the plan, although the header i linked gets good reviews and is only $50 more. So its a toss up. I do need the complete exhaust from the cat back though my muffler and tailpipe are in need of replacement, so it would be nice to buy a "kit".

Back