• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Titan Monster 4.9 300 Cubic Inch Jeep Stroker

That guy you quoted helped with the build of the LS2 XJ! :D if you got the money the LS swap is a no brainer. I, however, don't have that kind of money....
having had a stroker, the 5.3L swap is more desirable to me than a stroker. if you source the parts and are patient, you can have as little into a 5.3L as you will a stroker... i see low mileage motors and trannys with wiring harnesses for $500 pop up around my area fairly regularly. your talking more power, more torque, all in an unmodified motor. which to me equates to reliability. throw a mild cam in it and watch the numbers. a lot of strokers run beautifully, but i also see a lot of them on the net needing a rebuild before 100k miles. i guess there are a lot of variables for that. obviously you will have a lot more time and fab spent on a project like this, but i dont see cost as an arguement of stroker vs V8, specifically with the 5.3L. the LS series may differ.

alas, that is not what this thread is about.

^^Good points here. The Golen I had, way back when, failed due to the fact that the assembler did not know what he was doing. Left a part out, the spring at the front of the cam, and it ate the distributor/oil pump drive gear.

There are many good points for a V8 fitment but, it is a ton of work for the average guy whereas a stroker can be dropped into the bay. On my installation, we just put larger injectors in it and called it a day. Ran rich as a witch until it went closed loop, but that was 10 years ago... Today, I would use a F/IC and larger injectors.

Yes, but those of us stuck with California's draconian and senseless smog laws have many fewer options then the rest of you. A stroker can pass the visual and smog tests. So while an engine swap has benefits not all of us have that avenue available.

Why do people in CA think we can't do engine swaps? Donor engine must be same model year or newer, have all smog related components intact and functional, and pass an emissions test. It's neither magic nor rocket science. People do it all the time.

Why do people in CA think we can't do engine swaps? Donor engine must be same model year or newer, have all smog related components intact and functional, and pass an emissions test. It's neither magic nor rocket science. People do it all the time.

The hard part is the exhaust. You must use stock manifolds/headers and have the cat's in the factory location/measurement from the header. The ref probably isn't going to fail you for being a inch off but you gotta be close. The only way to do a pefrictly legal swap into a Cherokee is find a motor that has manifolds super close to the block and has an exhaust that comes togeather in a y into a single cat. Unless you can find a way to route a dual exhaust under there.

Most of the 5.3 swaps I have seen use an aftermarket header and wouldn't pass the ref in CA. I think the easiest to swap would be a 5.0 out of an Explorer because it comes with factory headers that you can heat up and bend in closer to the block for clearence of the frame. Plus everyone and thier grandma makes a standalone harness for the Ford fuel injection system. All the factory 5.3 manifolds I have seen terminate almost directly into the top of the frame.

Shipping is free.... not on the core I imagine though. I would think a V8 swap would be way more expensive...

As far as having no room to bore it out again... when would you have to do that? At 150k miles? I don't even put 10k a year on my jeeps...
I do not care about Titan's success or failure nor do I support or condemn them, HELL I didn't even know them till this thread. The quote above was my thought when some one slammed them about the rebuild. Most motors, in my past exp. with new builds is; I build it once because of the low miles before the 4x4 wears out our you sell it, unless it's your daily driver and you take it to the mall and church! BUT then again reputation is earned not bought. Engines can go bad but rare. Seems to me if your going to put your own cam in it and finish up the build, it can create doubt in any manufacturers brain that the consumer may have erred in the installation of the additional parts. Simple terms, if you've been doing something for years and have a minimal and I mean minimal percentage of error (failure) and in those errors the consumer caused a percentage of the failure (error) chances are the error is on the consumer. It is hard for a manufacturer to diagnose a problem if, the complete assembly was not performed by them, they obviously assumed you installed the cam properly by not opening it up but, where do they start, at the CPU, your sensors, you said you also lifted it, did you crush CPU sensor wiring, is the cam lobed correctly, distributor defective or been dropped or a cracked cap? Where does any one start other than at the beginning, which means time & time is money, can I check this engine out, spend time only to find it was error on the consumer and tell him where it failed and win??You get my point? Next time buy the complete motor or build it yourself problem solved!!!

Last edited:
Just wanted to comment on something i read on page 1.... SHIPPING IS NEVER FREE....they just roll it into the price of the item.... This is something any moron on ebay shouldve figured out LONG AGO.

Those of us that have built street rods and various other vehicles in California know that the smog rules in this state can be a mine field of problems if you do not go in prepared. How do I know? I have done them.

For example: It took me one year to get the referee to smog my first engine swap. The key is what you said "Donor engine must be same model year or newer, have all smog related components intact and functional, and pass an emissions test." In California if you go newer engine then the entire vehicle may be required to be brought up to the engine year vehicle specs. I looked at swapping a 1995 TBI Chevy engine into my 1979 Chevy truck. I was told by a Sacramento based Department Automotive Repair official I need to update the entire truck to 1995 standards. The official stated that would require a new 4 speed auto, new fuel tanks, fuel evap system, new cat, etc. It was not worth it, so I overhauled the original engine instead.

Another example: I was required to get a smog check on a 1947 Ford sedan I purchased out of Kansas. I tried to explain to the official the word "smog" had not be invented when that car was built. They did not care. I had to get a smog check. The smog check technician could not believe I was there and had no idea what to do until I told them to write me a slip saying no smog check required.

NEVER underestimate the level of stupidity in government bureaucracies/officials.

Another example: I saw a 4X4 Chevy truck fail a smog check because the 3 speed turbo 350 trans had been replaced with a 700R4 4 speed trans. While the truck was on the treadmill the technician felt it shift into overdrive. He stopped the test and crawled under the truck and looked at the trans. He then failed the truck as modified.

Now I am not going to argue that situations will be differerent depending on where you live and what official you are dealing with. I am merely attempting to point out it is a lot more than just swapping the engine and get a smog check. Be advised, be smart, and be prepared. Can engine swaps be done in this state? Absolutely, if you are smart and know the minefield.

Have fun!!

Last edited:
You can fail for a different transmission? That's retarded.

I think I will just stay out of California.

I watched it happen. No Lie!! I even questioned then technician about it.

Sometimes vehicle emissions equipment is based on engine and trans combinations.

Change the trans and you change the emissions equipment.

Change the GVW rating and change the equipment requirement.

Last edited:
I watched it happen. No Lie!! I even questioned then technician about it.

Sometimes vehicle emissions equipment is based on engine and trans combinations.

Change the trans and you change the emissions equipment.

Change the GVW rating and change the equipment requirement.
while this is technically true, it is rarely enforced. in my experience (having had quite a few modified vehicles), the main thing is the smog equipment has to be there and CARB legal. i also find that the more expensive smog places are usually more forgiving. i passed a few times in my mustang with a 49 state x pipe on it at one place when it failed at another previously (with no changes done by me).
A buddy did a 3.4l swap into his 85 4 runner and it passed the smog ref pretty easily while technically not being 100% by the book.

if you pull up in some riced out POS or hillbilly redneck hack job, they will probably look for reasons to fail you.

Back