• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep died/won't start

I've had the same problem with my 98 Jeep. I have a new fuel pump and pickup strainer. I've also had the CPS replaced. Then he wrapped the full rail in heat wrap because of a published notice from Jeep regarding a vapor lock in the fuel rail around #3 injector. Also used a lab scope to graph the waveforms of the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. All that and the ignition coil were ok. The 5 volt reference signal was ok also. Any other ideas?

Clean the sensor ground, which is at the dipstick bolt, and do so very thoroughly. After that smear it all up with dielectric grease. Doing this fixed all of the weird no start, dying and poor running quirks I was getting intermittently. My connection was loose and dirty, so remove it as a possibility before doing anything else.

Very informative thread! Dealing with a '93 XJ no start with power to nothing except key buzzer. My son said someone helped jump him in which it ran for 45 seconds then died. Battery is 3 months and is holding 12.7 volts. I thought ign switch to no avail. i'll be looking over some of the other things you all mentioned above. Thanks didn't mean to hijack, just saw some people with experience!

Great thread. Having some of the same issues with my 89 renix after doing a head swap. Ran fine and drove for about mile then died. Then about eight hours later after work it started up fine but didn't have much power on the hills back home. I'm gonna check the grounds again tomorrow and make sure they're clean considering I found a bad ground on my MAF sensor and fixed it. Lots of info and great ideas.

Back