• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilt rear wheel wells

cccj

NAXJA Forum User
We are working on a buddies '90 2 door XJ. I got this idea from another thread here on naxja. This one: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthre...07&perpage=15&highlight=subframe&pagenumber=1

We started to do the same cutting, but got looking at the inner wheel wells and are thinking about making new ones much longer and taller. We are thinking about continuing the front of the wheel well curve up to the body seam; about 4" below window. Then follow that seam straight back, and copy the front curve back down to just miss the taillight. The goal is to keep it low and fit 38s with 5.5" springs flipped for 6" more wheelbase. It will have an interior cage and fuel cell also. Is there any pics floating out there of any rebuilt inner wheel wells, just to envision the space they take up.

Your going to have to make your own wells if you decide to go with the body line cut. I think you'll find that when you get that high on the cut it looks wierd.. I go a few inches higher then the actual wheel well and stay out of the body line. Use 14ga sheet metal on the inner wheel wells. It's alot eaiser to work with when making the large curved bends. There are more pictures added to the folder or Creepers on my site.. Creepers

Have fun :D

I'm gettin ready to do the same thing. Follow the door up to right below the body seam and then go straight back. But I think I'm gonna go all the way to the tail lights. Remove the lights all together and put leds in my rear hatch. I'll build my bumper to go up beside the hatch so it can't be damaged. This way I am acutaly narrowing the rear end of the vehicle. If this makes any scene. I've got a cad drawing of it I'll post later.

Your going to have to make your own wells if you decide to go with the body line cut. I think you'll find that when you get that high on the cut it looks wierd.. I go a few inches higher then the actual wheel well and stay out of the body line. Use 14ga sheet metal on the inner wheel wells. It's alot eaiser to work with when making the large curved bends.

We've already figured making whole new wheel wells. We want to cut it that high to get the most clearance without huge lift. Thanks for the info, I was wondering what gauge you used.

I'm gettin ready to do the same thing. Follow the door up to right below the body seam and then go straight back. But I think I'm gonna go all the way to the tail lights. Remove the lights all together and put leds in my rear hatch. I'll build my bumper to go up beside the hatch so it can't be damaged. This way I am acutaly narrowing the rear end of the vehicle. If this makes any scene. I've got a cad drawing of it I'll post later.

That makes a lot of sense, and I like it! Please post whatever drawings you may have. I don't want to have to model the whole interior of an XJ.;)

Well, we decided to go with the factory look approach instead of fully tubing it. It is pretty much the same thing as AZXJ did, but I'll post a few pics anyway.
faa2f78a.jpg

I threw together these for mine. I'm not completely thru with the design. But this is it for now. I'm gonna biuld the bumper I out on here till I gut the rear. Just collecting parts now. Whatca think?
0.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Back