• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bird Box Challenge

cpefy3

NAXJA Forum User
Today I had the distinct pleasure of doing the “Bird Box Challenge” XJ style. What is this you ask? Trying to locate and screw in the bottom 4 manifold bolts. That is all I kept thinking while I fumbled through trying to hold the intake manifold in place while trying to screw them in place. I would love to see how they did this in the factory. Hope everyone had a great Saturday!!

i screw the lower bolts in a couple of threads and then wiggle the manifold into place.

once the gasket is in place and the outer extractor bolts are in place is fairly easy, its the tightening go those two lower rear bolts that's the killer, especially with after market extractors i hurt for days after.

Yep, those bottom bolts you pretty much have to tread in by feel since you really can’t see where they’re at. I get them started a couple threads and then slide the manifold onto them as stated. A 14mm swivel socket is really helpful and may even be required to tighten the bottom rear bolt if you’re running an aftermarket header.

Back