• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Genright XJ Extended Range Gas Tank install

Dunno - nothing says "expedition" like a couple of gerry cans on the rear bumper, unless it's a high clearance 1/4 ton trailer with gas cans.

Props to Gen-right for designing an aftermarket Tank for the XJ!! Very cool!

Price tag says they wont sell many, But atleast they put the option out there!

I have the same genright tank in my XJ and I'm very happy with it.

Fit and finish is top notch and I had no issues with my install. I don't have a tail pipe so I never had the issue the OP has with it.

I'm not sure I would have spent the coin on this tank originally, but I did some work for a guy and he traded it to me. Now that I have it, it really is worth it if you are into long range travel in your XJ.

$1,000 for a gas tank. Jeeze.

It is nice, and id love to have 30gal in tank. But for less than $150 i can carry two 5gal gerry cans.

Or for about $200 i can carry two 4gal rotopax containers.

Both of those options are not nearly as cool as the genright gas tank.

I mentioned that. Those prices you are quoting are without mounts. This tank also comes with a 3/16" skid.

Props to Gen-right for designing an aftermarket Tank for the XJ!! Very cool!

Price tag says they wont sell many, But atleast they put the option out there!

Mine was serial number 4XXX. Don't know if they started at 0001 or not or if the serial numbers include all of their tanks.

I want one.

It may be on the wish list for a while, but overall it makes a lot of sense to me.

Got a link? I couldn't find any Jeep tanks on their website.
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GST3003
You can buy it cheaper from other vendors including Serious Offroad.
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.c.../GenRight-30.5-Gallon-Fuel-Tank-Jeep-Cherokee

I like it. A nearly invisible way carry extra fuel in a well built, armored, frame-mounted fuel tank, instead of Molotov coacktails hanging off the back rack.
It also provides a lower center of gravity and less added weight due to not needing a bumper or roof rack.
If I could just get over the $900 price tag. A couple of trips through the Arizona Strip should help pay for it.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GST3003
You can buy it cheaper from other vendors including Serious Offroad.
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.c.../GenRight-30.5-Gallon-Fuel-Tank-Jeep-Cherokee

I like it. A nearly invisible way carry extra fuel in a well built, armored, frame-mounted fuel tank, instead of Molotov coacktails hanging off the back rack.
It also provides a lower center of gravity and less added weight due to not needing a bumper or roof rack.
If I could just get over the $900 price tag. A couple of trips through the Arizona Strip should help pay for it.

I think he was asking about the Transfer one. I couldn't find any info on it either.

I didn't measure the stock tank and I haven't measured this one. It doesn't seem to hang down much more. The weather is crappy hear right now, but when it's sunny I'll take a side pic even with the lower edge of the body to give an idea.

Looking back through the pictures I saw the serial number: 4046

I hear it is the same as stock. The extra space if from stretching it forward toward the rear axle. I think they have a high clearance tank with stock capacity.

It is also taller, wider and stretches further back.

so after looking at the web site I read that you cant move the axel back at all and still use this tank. now can you shed some light on this, do they literally mean "no move whatsoever" or would it be possible to move it back say 1.5"? what specifically is it that prevents this move, is the tank just extended over the pumpkin or just really close etc?

Depending on your lift height, diff cover, and up-travel amount, you could possibly move it back 1"-2". I wouldn't be able to move mine back at all with the RuffStuff cover and my lift amount. I'm in Houston at 610 and 10 west, so if you want to check it out pm me.

Im only looking at moving it back about 1.5" but with an axel truss, skid, or even an upgraded axle, it might not be feasible. i'm still pretty early on in my build so its not too important of a topic for me just yet. But having a large capacity fuel tank is more important to me than the longer wheelbase, just wanted to plan accordingly. Im sure with us being as close as we are i'll end up running into you eventually.

Genright sure makes some pretty stuff. too rich for my blood, or 99% of any other xj owner, which is why they don't offer more stuff for our junk.

Back