• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump and Check Valve

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
So I've done the diagnostics to determine that the check valve in my fuel pump assembly is bleeding off pressure when shut off.

Has anyone come up with a way to use an external valve and leave the broken one in the fuel tank alone? At $350 to replace a fuel pump that works fine otherwise I'd like to try to fangle something more serviceable and cheaper. Search didn't reveal anything.

TIA

A year and model would help your search. Also search for BMW check valve.IIRC thats what was used .

Sorry, Jeep is a 2001 4.0.

I thought the check valve was built into the pump assembly? What am I missing? Is this a replaceable part on the pump assembly?

I thought the check valve was built into the pump assembly?

No.

The pump assy. is inside the tank and has a "sock" pre-filter on the bottom as well as the gas gauge sending unit on the side.

The part I linked to in post #2 is the filter/pressure regulator/check valve. It sits on top of the pump assy. outside of the tank. It's supposed to be good for about 90,000 miles.

Run the Jeep till it's almost empty.

Get a floor jack or a friend under the tank.

Undo the nuts on the "J" bolts that are holding up the tank.

Drop the tank enough to get your hands up top and disconnect the wiring and the fuel line (no tools needed for this).

Drop the tank and pull it out from under the Jeep.

Pry off the stainless steel clip holding the F/PR/CV with a screw driver.

With two large screw drivers pry out the F/PR/CV. It's held in at this point with an o-ring which will probably be dry and hard so don't be afraid to use some force.

Use some kind of lube on the o-ring on the new F/PR/CV and reinstall everything in reverse order.

Make sure the outlet tube on the F/PR/CV is pointing forward, as it has to line up with the fuel line. It doesn't have to be dead on as the new unit will rotate a bit either way.

HTH.....

Last edited:
A year and model would help your search. Also search for BMW check valve.IIRC thats what was used .

I believe the BMW check valve will seriously FUBAR the fuel system on late model XJ's. I stumbled upon that jewel of info during one of my searches...

Ok, thanks. Just need to run the tank down now.

Back