• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

J Money Prerunner Build

I'm curious as to why the use of square tubing versus round tubing?

I can't answer for him but it looks awesome, lol. Also I seem to remember hearing that square tube is stronger because of the angles in it. :dunno:

wow, some great looking work there! The square is most likely used for aesthetic purposes. Square tubing is slightly stronger in pure bending(think of a beam supporting a center load as opposed to twisting/torsional/bending seen in roll cages) than round tubing of the same od/thickness, but for this case round would be stronger, but not even necessary considering the triangulation/support of those shock mounts. And they look really cool!

We used swquare for a few reasons...

A) It's stonger in this application
B) Since we welded this thing in and used through-bolts, it created a flush surface to mount up to the unibody thus creating more surface area to distribute the load. Drilling perfect holes in round tubing and through bolt/mounting it to the unibody probably wouldn't have been as strong.
C) It look's cool.

Your XJ should have been at the OFF Road Show,,, looks as good as the ones there, better than the one we met looking at.

Thanks! It was my pleasure meeting you there. Sorry I was in a rush, I only had an hour to spend there. I got a late start in the day.

Ted- I owe you a beer another time. Between traffic getting there and the tram ride my time was cut short.

is any of this stuff going into production? that rear cage is sick!

I've seen square tubing benders before but I've only seen them do tight bends with the inside deformed (collapsed). His looks like a big long roll bend with no deformation... Maybe I'm wrong and it is deformed?

Square tube and round tube are formed the same way. They just use a different shaped die. Due to the shape of the tube, round tube can be bent into a tighter radius the square(the flat surface on the outer surface of the bend will collapse when the bend gets too tight on square tube.)

Back