• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ - Daily Driver/Expedition Build

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
First Jeep owner here. I bought an XJ because Wranglers weren't as family freindly, and didn't have much room for hauling. I found one, with some "valve noise" and bought it. Turned out to be a rod knocking. I ended up throwing that rod soon after. Oh well. I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one, all done in my garage with basic hand tools, mostly by myself. *pats self on back*

l6XX46ys.jpg

CDWt4x0s.jpg

New engine with J & C enterprises head (no crap 0331 casting here)
Ch19Vb1s.jpg

Next up, a mild lift to fit some larger tires...
Rusty's 2" springs. 150 lbs rate and AAL in the rear.
bJjR754s.jpg

I picked up the shocks for $30 for all four. They are JK takeoffs. BPE's are have been used on front and rear mounts.

So I broke the rear mounts and decided just to cut holes. No pictured but I sealed them back up with Dynamat. One day I'll weld them.
zvZQ754s.jpg

I actually got a .5" lift from installing JK shocks. If you do them, go for the black bodies. They are stiff. The red one would be real harsh on a light XJ.

Lift installed. Tires shown are 235/75-15. I plan on running a 30" tire.
ChsR754s.jpg

Now I have some vibes and a clunk on accel and decel when driving at 30mph. SYE to come.. or a TC drop to get me by.

Future plans include new wheels/tires. I have a set of Moabs..not sure if I'll use them or now. I want 4 or 4.5" of bs.

Re: 2000 XJ - Kaboom!

Nice work and clean rig. As far as vibes a tc drop should be good for your height

Nice work and clean rig. As far as vibes a tc drop should be good for your height
Yes I might try a TC until I can do an SYE. I loaded down the back and vibes are not the bad really. The clunk got a lot lighter.. I think it is the bind at the rear driveshaft. I'm rocking the original u-joints. 155k!

Wow! You make it look easy!
If only it were!

Nice XJ. I disagree on the red (Rubicon) JK shocks being too stiff, though. We installed them on my daughter Mira's '97 XJ 2-door, and the ride is quite nice.
I may have to retract that... I had it out today and the black body JK's do seem to ride really well with my setup. I love the fact I got them for $30 and have $25 in front BPE's and maybe $5 in alt bushings. $60 max invested in these and they do ride very nice. Perfect for a 2-4" lift, IMO.

Shoulda gone stroker homie.

Nice XJ, mine is the same color.

I had the red JK shocks and they were extremely stiff. They were smooth on the highway, but on a back road if I hit a pothole the back end would kick out. I swapped in some OME shocks and they ride like butter.

How easy was the dynamat to apply? I've been thinking about doing some sound deadening in my XJ with dynamat.

Shoulda gone stroker homie.
$$$$$$

Nice XJ, mine is the same color.

I had the red JK shocks and they were extremely stiff. They were smooth on the highway, but on a back road if I hit a pothole the back end would kick out. I swapped in some OME shocks and they ride like butter.

How easy was the dynamat to apply? I've been thinking about doing some sound deadening in my XJ with dynamat.

Super easy..just peal and stick. I got a box off of Amazon for a great price.. Eastwood makes a clone of their product too which is nice as well. It makes a good difference but does add a lot of weight if you use a bunch.

Since I'm only running a 2" lift, I'm going to pass on the disco's for now to get this thing road worthy... 155k miles and here are the original sway bar connectors... Nothing like a previous owner's upkeep.. check out those bushings. sheesh..

bDlkNG4s.jpg

WJykNG4s.jpg

Also, I broke down the old engine so I could actually lift the block up in my Jeep and take it too the scrap yard for a few bucks. The bearings where SHOT.
zqckNG4s.jpg

Yes I might try a TC until I can do an SYE. I loaded down the back and vibes are not the bad really. The clunk got a lot lighter.. I think it is the bind at the rear driveshaft. I'm rocking the original u-joints. 155k!

Ya I just lifted mine 6.5" already had a tcase drop and leafs came with shims, no really bad vibrations at all or clunks @132k

Nice work! What a shame that the motor was in such bad shape at only 155,000 miles.
Cracked head syndrome I believe..it had overheated by previous owner thus cracking the head and taking out the bearings.

Bbut but but but bimmer jeep said that impossible
I disregarded alot of "advice". Some said the header panel HAD to come off, others said I had to remove the hood. People said a lot of things, I just did it my way. Removing the head before pulling the engine gains you access to those pesky housing bolts. Also installing without the head does the same when it comes to bolting the housing up.

I HATE my wheels and tires! I'm on the hunt for a nice setup as soon as I get the SYE worked out. I don't want to do a t-case drop.

Looking to order an AA SYE and driveshaft from Tom Woods... they were helpful on the phone. Wish I find a cheaper route but their service is good.

I HATE my wheels and tires! I'm on the hunt for a nice setup as soon as I get the SYE worked out. I don't want to do a t-case drop.

Looking to order an AA SYE and driveshaft from Tom Woods... they were helpful on the phone. Wish I find a cheaper route but their service is good.

Good idea doing it right the first time! I've heard great things about Tom Woods. I wish I had the money for a SYE on mine. I lifted mine only 2" and ended up having driveline vibrations. I've had a 1" T-case drop for about a year now, and it seems kind of pointless to lift the Jeep then do a 1" drop on the cross member.

I have a Tom woods shaft and it's defiantly not "great". Installed last year and is showing age in the slip already. Seems like mass produced parts to me. And the rough country shaft I was lookin at yesterday was identical from what I could see and less $$$$.

I grease my truck every time i take it out and have adjusted pinion angle three times to keep it perfect as everything has settled into place...

Just don't think your getting some awesome product because it comes with a Tom woods sticker. I won't be buying another.

Tom Woods is a great place to get parts from. They are very helpful & I even use them on more standard run of the mill stuff. However, if you want a cheaper option that's still done right, buy the SYE from me (PayPal is accepted or I can do a CC over the phone) & pick up a used front drive shaft from an auto XJ & it fits perfectly. Just give me a shout if youre interested in doing it this way.

I doubt a front DS will work for me.. my rear measures 36" from the TC to the yoke. I don't have air tools and the 2 folks here in town are questionable for installation. So I'm going to do a TC drop until I can find someone to do the job.

Rig looks great! My sway bar bushings and link bushing look about like your old ones. Did you notice any improvement in the street handling after swapping them out? If so, where exactly

Yeah, it's firmed up the front end some in the turns. I got whole setup on Rock Auto clearance for less than $25 so I'd say it was worth it.

Back