• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Now another odd thing. My MIL is staying on when I put the ignition in the "on" position. Does it stay on until you start the jeep then it goes off? (I couldn't start it because it's late)

Yes. Mine does this. It is on at "key on" position and then goes out when its starts.

So I made a $2500 mistake:

Canceled insurance on the Jeep July 2015. Registration was valid until April 2016. Never turned in the plates. $1250 fine for an uninsured vehicle and $40/mo for 3 years for SR22 high risk insurance.

**** me

when I sold my truck I learned this lesson the hard way as well. I cancelled the insurance and turned the tags in like 2 days later. $500 in fines.

The dreaded adapter drip. I had to reseal mine too. I used Ultra Grey on mine. Seems to have cured it.

Nice hood pulls

It'll gush trans fluid when I take off the TC right? Can I make the back end higher and loose less fluid? I didn't think the TC side would leak so I don't think I sealed it. iDisk everything else

It'll gush trans fluid when I take off the TC right? Can I make the back end higher and loose less fluid? I didn't think the TC side would leak so I don't think I sealed it. iDisk everything else

I wouldn't say gush but you'll get some fluid coming out. Whatever is puddled in the adapter. Throw a drain pan under it and when you loosen your nuts up tip the TC up a bit and let it run out into the pan until it drips and then remove the nuts the rest of the way and pull it. It will help to put the rear on jack stands too. I think a few cups of fluid came out of mine but it stopped after that and mine was on the tires and level.

make sure you spray Brake Clean on all mating surfaces so they are super clean.

Good luck :)

Now I remember why I didn't seal this area. There's this interior seal that should prevent fluid from hitting the front side of the transfer case. It seals on the TC input shaft.

Adding some permatex red right now!

Nice work. That didn't take long

So i took it for a little test spin.

It's leaking still. Not sure why. Maybe I jacked up that interior seal during install? I put a nice healthy bead of red RTV on the inside which should be the best at keeping oils in. Then again trans fluid is basically a solvent.

Not sure what to do. I'll probably call AA on Tuesday.

Well you have 2 choices... If the drip isn't too bad live with it.... or pull it again.

I use this stuff:
7160017_ptx_82194_pri_larg.jpg

I've never had luck with the red or the blue before. I sometimes use the black as well but the grey is my default RTV.

I'll probably pull it again this weekend. I think it's the RTV. the blue on the rest of the adapters have no issues but the red does. Now sure why.

I'll probably get some black up in there and see how it goes.

I agree on black or gray silicon. It's actually a different type of silicon compared to the blue or red and works much better. I always run the bead, let it set up for a few minutes and then install. I would replace that seal again too, and verify it fits the tcase snugly.

Back