• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Fender Trim Write-up, retaining the stock flare (Fender Trim Part 2)

Thanks for a great writeup. Best trim job I've seen. By the way that's a pretty clean XJ ya got there... almost too pretty! Scratch that thing will ya?! :)

The most impressive part of this post is the fact that your woman is there with a smile on her face and helping ya out...I only seem to get the psychos!

FitchVA said:
awesome writeup bro! i'm glad i could assist you an any way. outstandinng job. it looks awesome.

now it's time to get rid of those rear end cap brackets. ;)

Lol, yeah, that actually is the next trim job. I've (since the rear trim's been done) smashed my rear quarters up pretty good out in Crozet by imitating the space shuttle and they need to be cut and folded now. I just haven't decided how I'm going to do the end caps yet. I'll probably just order a set from Terry at Rigid Co, but I might just do something home made like Eric just did a few weeks ago. Either way, the quarters are history.

jeepngas said:
Thanks for a great writeup. Best trim job I've seen. By the way that's a pretty clean XJ ya got there... almost too pretty! Scratch that thing will ya?! :)

Oh goodness its been scratched. Its definately a looker at 25 feet, but a pin striped wonder at 10 feet. I just try to keep a good coat of wax on the paint so that everything getting scratched off is mostly wax. It seems to work pretty well actually. But wax won't protect the bottoms from rocks! WHERE IS MARTIN!?!?!? (Martin at Rock lizard is helping me re design his super skink sliders around the Full Traction kit......it's definately take a bit longer than thought.)

Hey, nice pics and info. Im about to do exactly that. Question for ya- Im running the same setup for shocks (5150s in front and 5125s in the rear with lowered top mounts) What kind of rear bumpstop plate is that? Homemade? I have some plates that im trying to get to work using the top of the ubolts (plate on top of the nuts, then nuts ontop of the plate) And i like the look of your setup.. Any info would be great

AgentXJ203 said:
I cut and folded on the rear with my 89 two weeks ago, and it's awesome. I placed mine up higher, required cutting the flare in two, and the front halves are actually mounted to the back doors. I did not re-use the stock hardware, as I secured the flares with screws. The whole thing is in the process of Herculining and sealing right now, and I will post pictures when it's done. Cutting fenders is the way to go.

Agent - Have you had a chance to take some pic? It'd be nice to see.

53Guy - Great write up on both the front and rear. Hope to do the same.

Where did you get the bump stop mount on top of the mounting plate for the rear axle?

Nice write up on the flares. I think I am definitely going to do this for the front and rear.

WoodyDE said:
Where did you get the bump stop mount on top of the mounting plate for the rear axle?

Nice write up on the flares. I think I am definitely going to do this for the front and rear.

Full Traction. They come with the lift kit. Thanks for the compliments.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I still haven't heard back from ANY mods about it. I'll keep trying.

nice job!!! i think i'll be doing this in the summer. i'm thinking of tucking 31s on the stock suspension. or maybe with a 2" lift...

It looks like the pictures no longer work... This looks like a Good Thing (tm) to do on my XJ.

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to rehost them. Contact 5-90, he has a copy of both fender trim write ups in PDF form with pictures. He should be able to send you a copy.

I've got copies of all the write ups if anyone needs a PDF copy... PM me or email me at [email protected] I'll need your email address to send them to you if you want a copy, so please include that.

Last edited:
You are correct, 5-90 does have the PDF copies as well. Looks like a really useful writeup. I rubbed both rear tires hard (not at the same time) on New Year's day in Mojave, looks like I will be doing some cutting shortly.

I am running 33x12.5's and I trimmed + kept the stock flares. I went wheeling and flexed it out...the rear was fine, not a single rub. But the front end chewed up my fenders pretty well. Both front flares popped off on the trail.

Don't forget to install larger bumpstops on the front. ;) I have the stock bumps in the rear, but I think the leaf springs are still too tight. I don't think I hit them in the rear at all.

Last edited:
Back