• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires for Local Wheeling... All or Mud

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm starting to think about replacing the Hi-Tech retreads. They've been great, but they're friggin loud. Our camp truck was back for service last week, and I drove it on the freeway (it has BFG muds). I couldn't believe how quiet the tires were! I thought all mudders had bad highway hum.

anyways that got me to thinking... do I really need muds in so-cal? Other than Azusa, how often do we really encounter mud?

Let me know what you all recommend for local wheeling. Tony already told me that 33x10.5 is a magic size for the XJ, so I think thats where I'm going. All or Mud is the choice I have left.

For SoCal wheeling, with street driving, there is only one choice.

MT/R.

Not great in the mud, but good everywhere else. Quite, good wear, strong, good traction, affordable.

If you want to hop in my rig with MT/R's and take it for a run down the freeway you're welcome to.

BFG mudds are my choice.

FordGuy said:
I sell a ton of tires, The Toyo M/T never fail, sidewalls are killer. MTR work well but pop sidewalls, and tthe new BFG people seem to like.

I second that on the MTRs. Sidewalls are not as strong as the Toyos.

Mdub said:
I second that on the MTRs. Sidewalls are not as strong as the Toyos.

Thats true, but most of the people I've seen go to toyo's end up going back to MT/R's..

JMO, i hated my MT/R's ill never buy a set again (unless theyre dirt cheap :D) They SUCKED in the snow and rain. I've never been scared of driving in the rain till i drove back from San Diego with my 32" MT/Rs. It felt like i was fish tailing the whole way home. Theyre great in the DRY dirt/rocks but the minute they get wet, F that.

My top tire choices are Baja Claws, TrXus MT/s, BFG Muds, XTerrains, Im sure theres a few others id buy off the bat.

swbooking said:
JMO, i hated my MT/R's ill never buy a set again (unless theyre dirt cheap :D) They SUCKED in the snow and rain. I've never been scared of driving in the rain till i drove back from San Diego with my 32" MT/Rs. It felt like i was fish tailing the whole way home. Theyre great in the DRY dirt/rocks but the minute they get wet, F that.

My top tire choices are Baja Claws, TrXus MT/s, BFG Muds, XTerrains, Im sure theres a few others id buy off the bat.

I've always found them to work really well in the snow, and havent had any problems in the rain either.

*shrug*

Claws arent a bad tire, but don't hook up as well. I like the TrXus MT's, but the sidewalls arent as strong. I killed 9 bfg muds in one year before I gave up on them.. and I'm fairly sure I couldnt get up my driveway with block lockers on without spinning a set of xterrains.

cal said:
For SoCal wheeling, with street driving, there is only one choice.

MT/R.

Not great in the mud, but good everywhere else. Quite, good wear, strong, good traction, affordable.

If you want to hop in my rig with MT/R's and take it for a run down the freeway you're welcome to.

Affordable? I've always thought the Goodies were a bit high in price, at least compared to BFG's.

What kinda mileage are you getting out of them? I don't drive my Jeep much, but it does see street driving to and from the trails and occasional joyriding. I only put about 6k per year on my Jeep.

My friend had some MT/Rs on and was constantly getting flats. But that was out here in the desert where the plants are vicious...

cal said:
I killed 9 bfg muds in one year before I gave up on them..

How many MT/R's have you killed this year?

I can think of a couple...

IslanderOffRoad said:
Affordable? I've always thought the Goodies were a bit high in price, at least compared to BFG's.

What kinda mileage are you getting out of them? I don't drive my Jeep much, but it does see street driving to and from the trails and occasional joyriding. I only put about 6k per year on my Jeep.

I replaced two BFG MT's (33x12.5x15)a little over a week ago. Paid just over $400, including warranty, at Phillips Tire. Print out the price online then take it into the shop.

If you want a low price high quality tire in a mt flavor call some smaller shops and ask for runway enduro mt's I really like mine and they work really well even in soupy mud and are pretty quiet. I got my set for free because my wife works in the warehouse but I will be buying at least 2 more rigs worth for her xj and my dad's cj

I got 33X10.5 BFG AT's. on my XJ.

Choose AT's because my kid drive the XJ to school. Figured they would be a bit safer choice on rainy days for him.

I had AT's on a YJ years ago that did real good in all but gooey mud.

I have AT's on my big ugly and heavy excursion and got 95K miles out of a set.

The AT's have done well on the XJ so far. I got a sinking feeling in JV crossing the sand, but that could be due to the 10.5 or my sand driving experience. So far on rocks and stuff like Calico and Big Bear they have done really well.

Where they really stood out over the MT's was in Big Bear on the snow and ice. I crawled right up one section of icy boulders on John Bull where others were doing the 4 wheel stand still spin.

I stuck with the 10.5's because I am on stock rims and haven't trimmed (yet) They tend to tuck into the sheet metal pretty good, plus I got less weight on the corners, so less stress on the rest of the old XJ.

Go somewhere that offers the road hazard policy, best $15.00 you will ever spend, especially if you go to JV

IslanderOffRoad said:
Affordable? I don't drive my Jeep much, but it does see street driving to and from the trails and occasional joyriding. I only put about 6k per year on my Jeep.

Whoops! just read that note above. The big benefits of the AT's are the street ability, sounds like you don't need that. With only those kind of street miles I would go with something more aggressive and soft.

I had the 315/75R16 Toyo and MTR side by side when I purchased tires. The Toyo was quite a bit heavier and had beefy sidewalls. I'm not a weight freak but choose the MTR cause every pound adds up. Especially up sand dunes. I might try the Toyo next.
Never had a flat or problem in the rain, but they aren't(duh!) as sure footed in the rain as the old BFG AT's.

Ronbo said:
I had the 315/75R16 Toyo and MTR side by side when I purchased tires. The Toyo was quite a bit heavier and had beefy sidewalls. I'm not a weight freak but choose the MTR cause every pound adds up. Especially up sand dunes. I might try the Toyo next.
Never had a flat or problem in the rain, but they aren't(duh!) as sure footed in the rain as the old BFG AT's.

WTF is this 'rain' thing you all are talking about?

karstic said:
How many MT/R's have you killed this year?

I can think of a couple...

I remember a time before MT/Rs and everyone loved BFGs. Toyo wasn't around for siht. Then came MT/Rs and everyone pissed all over BFGs because of the sidewalls popping. As soon as I went to MT/Rs everyone said MT/Rs popped. Whatever.

I ran for like 4 years without a single sidewall pop on BFGs. I ran my mouth off about it because this was about the time MT/Rs came about. Then I popped one. The next month I popped two on one run. Then I got MTRs, haven't popped siht.

For all who said MT/Rs aren't noisy, they haven't run them when there isn't much tread on em. They were noiser then my BFGs. Rumbled like a mo fo.

mikedashg said:
For all who said MT/Rs aren't noisy, they haven't run them when there isn't much tread on em. They were noiser then my BFGs. Rumbled like a mo fo.

X2!! I got rid of my MTR's because they were so LOUD!! They start to get loud when it gets to 60% of tread left.

E

Back