• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a replacement head comparable to Alabama Cylinder Head?

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys.. so I cracked the head on my '00 xj and was planning on getting one through alabama cylinder head, but I just was told that they are out of stock and it will be 4 to 6 weeks before they get more in. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement head similar to the one that Alabama offers?

Depends on your budget, but HESCO has an aluminum head that decreases weight and I believe adds something like 30hp. Its been some time since I have looked at it, so that estimate could be quite off. Anyhow, that is an option and its also based in Alabama, but it's quite expensive.

I am from Alabama and never have heard of Alabama Cylinder Head....where are they located? do they have a website?

Try www.4wheelparts.com. I was in the same boat last year. Alabama Cylinder Head was out, but they had inventory in stock. Just search cylinder head on the 4 wheel parts site and you will see it. Good luck. I also saw a used head on daveys jeep website for around $200.

The shop I work at can get a new casting from one of our suppliers. The heads come bare.

thanks guys. alex..I'm originally from Warrent, CT right on lake Waramaug.

Sounds like a good deal on the used. Whats your thoughts on what I'd need to do on that used head? Or is it pretty much slap it on and ready to go?

Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. You guys think that thats a good alternative to the alabama head? unfortunately 4wd is out of stock.

I picked up a used head on craigslist for $50. You could slap it on, but best is to check it for flatness with a feeler gage on a surface plate with a feeler gage. IIRC, 0.003 is the magic number here. Then check for free play side to side of the valve stems after pulling off springs and dropping valves down about 1/4". That should be < 0.003". (Mag base and indicator). Next touch up valve sealing with valve lapping compound. Valve sealing can also be tested crudely by turning head over, filling with solvent (paint thinner or gasoline and seeing if it runs out through valves overnight. Don't lap the valves excessively or the valve seat gets too wide and will carbon up easily.

Just heard back from Daveys... he says he doesn't ship cylinder heads. Seems somewhat narrowminded to me.

Anyone know where I could find a new complete 03 head?

You can get a used head from everdrive.com. They charge $300 but they will occassionally give you a discount if you complain about the price enough. I got them to go down to $250. They also did free shipping and I was able to pick the specific year and know ahead of time the mileage it had. I chose an 06 0331 head out of a TJ that had just over 20,000 miles and it came with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on the head. It needed no modifications. Just a direct bolt in head. I probably could have done the junk yard find for much cheaper but you have no warranty and it doesn't get delivered to your front door. Great customer service and was delivered within a week.

Thanks Bhicks. I just called them and they said they had an 06 but that it would take "quite a bit of work" to fit the 06 head on my 00 cherokee. I thought these two were easily compatable.

Thanks Bhicks. I just called them and they said they had an 06 but that it would take "quite a bit of work" to fit the 06 head on my 00 cherokee. I thought these two were easily compatable.

If they told you that, they are dead wrong. My 06 TJ 0331 head that I ordered from them had the coil rail mounts and was identical to the 0331 head on my 2000 XJ. I am very curious on what they thought was different about the two heads. If you are nervous about it then get one from an 03-05 TJ, but I know for a fact the two heads are interchangable.

Edit: Okay so I just contacted everdrive.com and spoke with a Josh at ext. 3160. (Sorry, but I am bored here at work and have nothing better to do) Anyways, he stated that whoever you spoke with was wrong. The 06 Head is a direct bolt in. He also stated he will take off $30 from their asking price. I kind of bitched at their $309 price. That is a little higher than when I bought mine. Now it is down to $279 if you contact him directly at his extension. You may even be able to talk it down a little more. In regards to the warranty, I was a little off. They have improved it since I purchased mine. Their new warranty is 3 years unlimited mileage on the head. For $279 and free shipping, I do not think you are going to get a better deal.

Last edited:
thanks guys. alex..I'm originally from Warrent, CT right on lake Waramaug.

Sounds like a good deal on the used. Whats your thoughts on what I'd need to do on that used head? Or is it pretty much slap it on and ready to go?

Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. You guys think that thats a good alternative to the alabama head? unfortunately 4wd is out of stock.

The used head would be a better value. If you do get the used head take it to the shop and have it checked for straightness, vacuum test the valves and a good cleaning.

The heads from liberty are $325msrp.

I'm curious. What head did you decide to go with?

hey guys.. sorry I was busy at a client all day today. Bhicks.. thank you for taking the time to call and negotiate the price on the everdrive head. I'll be ordering the head from them tomorrow.

Got out of work at the client's office tonight at 7pm, went to start the jeep and it sounded like I lost my muffler. Looked under the jeep and someone had stolen my catalytic converter.. Can't believe it.

Cylinder head service
4508 Commerce Ave
Fairfield, AL 35064
(205) 781-9800

Been around as long as I can remember have a good rep and only do cylinder heads......

Back