• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock wheels

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have 17” wheels on my Jeep now. It came with a 4.5 Rough Country lift. It has BFG M/T on it. I want to switch to 33” BFG A/T. Thinking of going with the stock wheel to lighten the Jeep up. Will do this after I get the Engine and Death Wobble fixed.

By stock wheel do you mean 15 inch x 7 inch with 5.25 backspacing ?

Most 33 inch tires are 12.5 wide which should be mounted on a 10 inch rim according to the tire mfg website.

What are you going to do about the additional offset you are going to want to have ?

Last edited:
I’m currently running 255/75/17 on the Jeep. I would have to go with a wider wheel with a 33. I was just thinking that a 15” wheel would be lighter.

Rubi rims are a great choice with 4.5" BS but they are 16". I ran a bunch of different rims before deciding on them.
P1080569_zpsdib4k3dm.jpg

I'm at 5.5" and my 33x10.50's w/ 15x7-4.5BS wheels rubbed so it was a easy decision when I went to WJ brakes.
DSC00143_zpszwutcjks.jpg

For a short time I ran 33 X 10.50 KO2s on stock rims, it caused the center of the tire to wear faster and besides, it looked bad. 8" wide rims work, look and ride much better.

If you use the rig for a lot of wheeling, 15" rims will be lighter and ride better off-road due to the taller sidewalls and the 15" tire's lighter weight capacity rating, compared to 16" or 17" tires, most of which are designed for heavier vehicles.

For a short time I ran 33 X 10.50 KO2s on stock rims, it caused the center of the tire to wear faster and besides, it looked bad. 8" wide rims work, look and ride much better.

If you use the rig for a lot of wheeling, 15" rims will be lighter and ride better off-road due to the taller sidewalls and the 15" tire's lighter weight capacity rating, compared to 16" or 17" tires, most of which are designed for heavier vehicles.

My 2k's are almost the same as yours, when I started with my Ultra-star wheels I ran 265's and with my Rubi's I run a 265/75-16 in a C rating to keep the sidewalls flexible.

You already have wheels, don't waste money on new ones. Just run some 285/70R17s

What wheels does 2doordan have? I'm assuming the forest service didnt swap to 17s in 94. I'd think 17s would have been barely available then

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15 inch is great, you want that extra sidewall for wheeling, as you will be less likely to damage a smaller rim on low rocks, and you can get more contact patch when aired down. save the big diameter rims for the blvd city cruiser, which I personally think is a waste of an XJ as I really like wheeling.

ps my buddy has a 2001 xj with stock type rims the silver xj in the video...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BmwfUMekJXo&t=51s and 31" tires

remember if you go big on tire diameter, you will need to regear, else the xj becomes a dog on hills and in acceleration stock gears on tall tires are not a good combo. mine was regeared for 30 " tires to 4.11, but then tires were upped to 33" , and now I really should go to 4.56 gears cause hiway hills cause me to down shift to 3rd, or 2nd, or even 1st on the steepest hills. at least i have a 4.1 transfercase else wheeling would be difficult plan ahead, if large tires are needed, so is a high gear ratio.

Black XJ I dont think a 4.00 gear to 456 is enough of difference to warrant the change. Youd probably still be downshifting and not notice it off road.

I'd regear a hole number 513 for you from 4.11

I run 4low alot on the trail's alost feel a 4.1 tcase mod would be be a huge improvement and probably noticed more then slight gear changes.

Most technical situations I like to be in 4low I see guys with lower gears flounder around where I put my stock geard xj in 4low and walk through.

Black XJ I dont think a 4.00 gear to 456 is enough of difference to warrant the change. Youd probably still be downshifting and not notice it off road.

I'd regear a hole number 513 for you from 4.11

I run 4low alot on the trail's alost feel a 4.1 tcase mod would be be a huge improvement and probably noticed more then slight gear changes.

Most technical situations I like to be in 4low I see guys with lower gears flounder around where I put my stock geard xj in 4low and walk through.

He hasn't mentioned what his gears are now but 5.13's would kill his highway speeds and not do that much the trail in low range.
2.8 x 2.72 x 5.13 = 39:1
My 2.8 x 4 x 4.1 = 46:1

I believe he said 4.11 , dont recall what tire size he said he wanted assuming 35+

He already has a 4.1 so a gear change from 4.11-4.56 wouldnt in my ind justify the investment for the minimal gain.

Back