• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough idle after VC gasket replaced

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on my daughter's 01 xj, 4.0L

I replaced her valve cover gasket. Now the idle is rough. If I take the hose off of the CCV valve, (the rear one on the valve cover that connects to the intake manifold) idle goes up to about 1500. If I connect the hose, the engine dies. Is this a dealer only item? All of the parts stores in town say they don't carry a CCV valve and insist it's a PCV. Same difference? Not sure...

I doubt it's the vent hose or the orifice in the valve cover. It's there to draw some air through the engine and pull any vapors into the intake. The idle air controller should be able to compensate even if that hose is plugged. Look over the other hoses and see if you knocked something loose like the wiring to the idle air controller or maybe the vac line on the MAP sensor.

There is no logical connection between the valve cover, and the idle speed. The likely suspects are anything you moved, bumped, or disconnected for the valve cover job. Go over your work checking for loose wire plugs, damaged wires or loose/split vent/vacuum tubes. If you were yanking wires all around you could have caused a failure in a wire harness wire splice.

Last edited:
I disconnected all of the wire harnesses (IAC, Map Sensor, etc) and reconnected. It's running fine now. I must have pulled something loose.

Back