• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango Steering Box Question

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen this thread, started by Yellaheep

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30672&highlight=durango+steering+box

and have done some searching in the archives.

I have a stock '96 XJ that I want to run 31's and maybe eventually 33's on. I've adjusted my steering gear twice now, and I want to get a new steering gear for it.

Reman XJ box is $350 (Can), and a 99 Durango box from a local wrecker is $275 (Can).

A number of people have posted about having problems with rebuilt units as they are way out of spec.

Question 1
Is it worth my while to go to the Durango box, or just find a newer, low miles XJ box? I am not a hardcore wheeler, mostly just family trail runs.

Question 2
If the Durango box makes the same number of turns lock to lock as an XJ box, will it have the same turning radius (Trying to avoid the problem Yellaheep ran into)

Thanks,
Geoff

Last edited:
I have had mine in for a year or more and didnt notice any differance, seems to turn as sharp as my wifes stock XJ. I would assume by reading the link you posted it is exagerated by a D44 swap as the ball joint to TRE distance is longer.

Back