• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Mount

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 cherokee and just bought a new Trans Mount. My old nuts look like they are 5/16-18 however the new studs look like they are 5/16-24 fine thread. Can i just use a regular nut on it, or do I need a flange nut like the factory one?

you can use a regular nut, but would also add a lock washer and reg washer.

been a while since i looked at it, but think factory is the self locker type

The original threads are M8X1.25. My mount, although the correct part number, is 5/16X24. I need to swap this one with another at the parts store. And I cannot find 5/16-24 anywhere around here.

Last edited:
How did you determine the bolts supplied are 5/16-24? M8-1.25 is very close to 5/16-24. It would be easy to get them mixed up. 24 thread is the common fine thread on a 5/16" bolt (source Mathinery's Handbook). However, since the M8-1.25 is commonly used on Jeep of all kinds, I'd substitute with the spec bolt: M8-1.25. Might try NAPA or a good Ace Hardware for the correct bolt. While you're there, ask for an all-metal lock nut. Jeep used a locking nut on the original. Use a washer with it since the flange nuts are difficult to locate. As with all lock-nuts, tighten snug, but no more (there are not torque specifications for lock nuts because of the way a lock nut works). Never reuse a locknut.

This wouldn't be the first time we've seen a manufacturer send 5/16 instead of M8...the 5/16 are cheaper and more readily available on the wholesale market.

Thinking the four studs through the crossmember are M8-1.25 as mentioned by the others. I used lock washers with nyloc nuts on mine.

Back