• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird noise - can't decide

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
Developed a noise today that sounds like a fan blade hitting something, but it is coming from the engine - trans mating area......didn't hear a knock with the stethoscope, and it seems to only show up when the trans is in gear.

Any ideas ?? This is my daily driver.

Maybe a loose flexplate bolt ??

It is a card in the spokes kind of noise (for those old enough to know about playing cards in your bike spokes)

Last edited:
From what you describe it sure sounds like a flexplate to torque converter bolt backing out — better have a look before it causes real problems

Pop the flexplate cover off, and take a look. Check for any loose flexplate bolts, or pry on the flexplate to see if it is cracked.

Also noted today when I drove it to the shop, that it only does it when the engine/trans are hot (up to normal temps)

Driving it cold today the 3 miles to the shop it didn't do it, but if I torqued the engine against the brake, it would just start.

Took it to the shop as I have a recovering knee injury that was severely aggravated when I replaced my steering with the 1 ton SFR system 2 weekends ago, so I am not risking doing that again by getting in & out from under the jeep. I'll just pay this shop, whom I trust, to do it for me this time.

Keep us in the loop. My sister in laws wrangler does the same thing and I haven't been able to pin it down.

Just picked it up...it was exactly as I suspected...the torque converter bolts were loose and starting to hit the dust cover.

They tightened them up and now no more noise.......

Last edited:
Back