• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help oring filter adapter , still leaks after instaling new orings?

well id like to thank everyone turns out the opsu was bad as well which looked like the oring on the adapter was still leaking since its right above the adapter so i got a new one from parts store for 5 bucks no more leak im sure they were both leaking before so its all good now. but now my waterpump leaks after i changed the belt man what a B??ch.:doh: oh thats why its was a $350 jeep.

Yeah, the sender unit will leak, and since it's right above, its hard to see.

Water pump? The pump should only leak from the purge hole under the shaft. If it looks like a gasket leak, check the hoses above to make sure, but probably putting pressure on the shaft from a new belt speeded things up. The best way to check belt tension (from here) is to keep tightening it until it stops squealing. Much less likely to overdo it on a 4.0 that way.

So what was the consensus on soaking the o-rings in oil prior to installing them?

I ask because I started this job on Friday, put my o-rings in some oil to soak, got stuck (pun intended) trying to get the stupid torx bolt off, then had to go out of town for the weekend and I left them soaking in oil the whole time I was gone (currently still in oil, been than way since Friday). Does anyone think this will be an issue? Any chance the oil broke them down any while they were soaking? Or should I just run by the dealer and get some more o-rings? I'm thinking they'll be fine... after all, they make contact with oil all the time once they're installed, but just wanted to consult the experts. Thanks!

Fel Pro doesn't list them that I can remember, but I'm not sure if Zone and O'Reilly carry them anymore. I got them at the Chryco Dealer and wasn't too unhapy with price. Seven bucks IIRC. It wasn't worth the extra effort to try to chase them down elsewhere, but it still bugs me that I paid over two bucks for each O-ring....

I would like to replace the orings on the oil filter adapter on my 1992 XJ 4.0. Can anyone tell me the part numbers for these rings and where I can purchase?
Thanks!

Thanks for link lawsoncl! Sorry I didn't try it. Purchased instead from Amazon link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015RZFCXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My 1992 XJ 4.0 4x4 auto has a sticker on the firewall above the oil filter that notifies me to beware of filter change and use 3/4" X 16 threaded oil filters.

The Amazon part above is NOT the correct set. My adapter has 3 o-rings

Use gland ID gland width gland depth
adapter to block 2.5" 0.150" 0.115"
adapter to bolt head 1.3" 0.150" 0.115"
around bolt inside adapter 0.835" 0.150" 0.080"

I'll keep buying and post whatever I find that works here.

Several folk have reported the Dorman set works. I think it comes with a bunch of o-rings and a couple of gaskets to cover multiple vehicles. I believe it's the o-ring inside the adapter that changed between 92/93, which might be when the bolt head changed too.

Well... one thing for sure Felpro ES 72962 does NOT work. This kit contains the large o-ring, the one that goes around the bolt and two others, neither of which will serve under the bolt cap. Felpro ES 72962 is off the list.

PLAN B

Here's a link to a list of o-ring material compatibility

https://www.marcorubber.com/o-ring-chemical-compatibility-chart.htm

Good news! Buna-N, Nitrile is compatible with gasoline and gas oil. Buna-N is a very common o-ring material, so the problematic o-ring (for the 1.3" ID groove) can possibly be purchased individually.

The groove width is compatible with 1/8" cross section o-ring.
However the groove depth of 0.117" is too deep for a 0.125 cross section o-ring. This groove results in a squeeze of (100% *(1 - .117/.125) only 6%.

The next larger USA common o-ring is 3/16" and is too big.

So my guess is that the o-ring is metric. 0.117" groove depth is 2.972 which sounds a lot like 3 mm. A 4 mm cross section o-ring (0.157") would give 25% squeeze, a common amount and still jam-fit in the groove, a bad thing.

How about 3.5 mm (0.138") cross section? This gives 14% squeeze which is OK for a static seal. Fits in the groove. Gland ID of 1.3" is 33 mm.

So a 33 mm ID, 3.5 mm cross section Buna-N 70 durometer would do.

Here it is:
https://www.theoringstore.com/index...=19986&zenid=0ca3295a337f789ba0b24dfb992e53d9

Maybe I'll end up purchasing this if all else fails.

More Plan B

It turns out that the o-ring set I purchased has the correct adapter-to-engine o-ring. Sure enough it measures 3.5 mm cross section diameter. The 2.5" groove ID is 63.5 mm but at installation I note I have to stretch the o-ring slightly. It is hard to measure the o-ring ID so my guess is that the proper o-ring is

3.5 mm X 63 mm Buna-N 70 durometer.

The o-ring from the set is new and feels like 70 durometer. And here it is

https://www.theoringstore.com/index...=19549&zenid=0ca3295a337f789ba0b24dfb992e53d9

No Felpro ES 72963, which is the Amazon link you provided. I ordered this part from Autozone and had it in my hands to compare. No joy...

More Plan B. Might as well do the last o-ring, the one around the bolt. This is obviously smaller in cross section than the other two.

Bore diameter in the adapter is 1.050" (26.6 mm). O-ring seat diameter on the bolt is 0.832" (21.1 mm). Groove width is 0.145 (3.68 mm). 1/2 diametrical clearance is 2.76 mm. This suggests a 3 mm o-ring which gives only 8% squeeze. 8% squeeze isn't very much but on the other hand the entry to the bore of the adapter isn't chamfered. If a bigger o-ring is used I doubt that it can be inserted without cutting on the sharp-edged bore.

I'm going to get another kit from NAPA. Maybe this will be correct, or at least have a bore o-ring I can measure and use.

Purchased a NAPA 601-1363 o-ring kit. There are several o-rings and a couple of gaskets. No luck. Only the adapter-to-engine was close. The package gives the contents and shows this o-ring as 2.5" ID X 1/8" cross section. It measures 1/8"

But no other o-rings in the package are even close.

OK, Giving up on obtaining proper o-rings from parts stores. Now it's PLAN B.

Purchasing the following from Amazon.com

Adapter to motor:

Groove ID: 2.500”
Groove depth: 0.115”
Groove width: 0.145”
Seal type: static face seal

O-ring: 3.5 mm X 63 mm Buna-N 70 durometer.
Stretch: 1%
Squeeze: 16%

Adapter to bolt head:
Groove ID: 1.300”
Groove Depth: 0.115”
Groove Width: 0.145”
Seal type: static face seal

O-ring: 3.5 mm X 33 mm Buna-N 70 durometer
Stretch: 0.1%
Squeeze: 16%

Internal adapter to bolt:
Adapter bore ID: 1.050”
Groove OD: 0.836”
Groove Width: 0.145
Seal type: static bore seal

O-ring: 1/8” X 13/16” Buna-N 70 durometer
Stretch: 3%
Squeeze: 14%

I'll post how they work in a week or so.

Back