• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 transmission cooler lines

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
Do you need a special disconnection tool to remove the transmission cooler lines, if so what size (AW4 transmission, 2001 XJ) Thanks.

3/8, but depends on the line connections you have. If it has the plastic clamps then you just have to squeez them. I just did this replacement. It is a PITA. The new line has a different connection where it goes into the cooler. But on mine where it went into the trans I had to reuse the old plastic clamp. Be carefull not to break it. Good Luck

I do have the plastic clamps at the tranny end but I'm not sure at the radiator end. Thanks for the info, I will probably do it the weekend.

The radiator side (on a 2000-01)requires the little plastic release tool.

^ Also required on anything 91-up as far as I know, and probably 90-down too.

I usually end up cutting the blasted line off and using fuel injection hose clamps. Much easier to remove the next time.

Do yourself a favor and buy two Dorman 800-714s (tranny fittings) as it is easiest to just unscrew them and replace. They're 7/8" hex, can use a socket or box wrench on them easily.

So I replaced both soft lines, re-used the upper radiator hard-line, and installed two Dorman 800-714s on my co-worker's 92 XJ. It no longer leaks at the tranny, but gushes at the upper radiator hardline to softline junction. Once the soft line snaps on, it can slide up and down the hardline about 1/4-1/3". Is there supposed to be a washer, spacer, or o-ring on the hardline to eliminate that play, or is that due to cheap rock auto parts(I forget if they were dorman or not)? Can I cut off an inch or so off the softline to eliminate the quick disco, leave the hardline as is, and clamp it? I'm already over working on this guy's jeep(this is the 5th X over a year) and still need to get to the bottom of my own Jeep's issue: cranks, no start condition, but have spark and gas; starter spinning sounds like there's no compression resistance, so need to comp check it(did the timing chain jump a tooth or so?)

Last edited:
Back