• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

c gussets

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
C gussets for the HP30, are they worth while?

There is some different information on the web regarding gusseting an older d30 vs the newer jk d30s and their being more brittle.

Ive read stuff from, youll bend the Cs just driving down the road on 31s , some say if you need a gusset you need a bigger axle.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/inner-c-gussets-3457018/

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/c-gussets-topic-here-140134/

lost the link for where ide read the metallurgy differences on jk/ vs xj,tj Cs

Ide like to hear from those experienced here and what your take is on adding gussets, any clarity would be appreciated.

No idea if they're needed.
I did mine because I had it tore down. Easy to do. I cut and bent my own gusseted to upper ball joints.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

what did you bend it with, do you have a press brake?

I wouldnt mind doing my own but without a brake ide have to cut every contour and reweld.

If you can cut the flat stock, and weld, you dont need to bend anything. Sure you are doing more welding, basically you will have a weld line joining corners of two flat pieces replacing every bend. Each bend becomes a welded corner where two pieces join at the "bend". You can build some very sturdy box section this way. No bender, no problem!

Otherwise find a shop that you pay to have it done at. I assume you will want this made of some heavy thick metal, so a good sized brake or bending machine will be needed.
What will you be using? 1/8 th inch thick? 3/16 inch?

If you end up welding it and a a novice at this kind of weld practice to get real good at corner welds on some same gage scrap metal, Practice to be proficient and nice clean long welds, then tack together your assembly, then weld up the corners in small sections allowing to cool between welds to prevent warping. Should be fairly easy once you master it in practice. You can add gussets as needed, and really make it strong by boxing in sections! If you want you could reinforce with angle welded to the plates.

A big strong hand clamp and rose bud torch. Going to upper balljoint was an after thought.

I used card board to get the shape cut out. Then traced on 1/4" clamp heat and burn

Not the prettiest but glued together well
fddcba038d9a53e3f0920359312a6638.jpg

Back