• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help please which Bilstein shocks??

spdyracer

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up these shock mounts for the dana 44 I'm putting in.
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Shock_Mounts/product/98201/98201_Universal_Shock_Mount.htm
The shocks I have now won't work because they won't have enough travel with the shorter mounts. I want to use 5150 shocks in the back and 5160 up front. The problem is I am shock dumb and not sure which ones to get. What I'm mostly worried about is getting ones that will work with the shorter shock mounts in the rear. Also what valving should I get for both front and back. My cherokee has a 4.5 RE lift with 33" tires. I have a jcroffroad front bumper, sliders, transfer case skid and gas tank skid so it has some added weight. I want good road manners since it gets driven on the road and also good offroad, mostly woods, trails, mud and some rocks. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Last edited:
Put the new shock mounts on, leave shocks off. Flex rear axle to max and measure fully extended and compressed lengths. Find the shock that matches the measurements the best. Personally, I go a little more on the long side and bumpstop to match.

I suck at valving though, I always just go with the defaults.

From what I've heard the techs a Billstein are really cool with helping you out in the valving dept. Just call them up and give them all your info. They tell you how to set it up right, or point you in the right direction of a local shop that will do it for you.

I just picked up these shock mounts for the dana 44 I'm putting in.
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Shock_Mounts/product/98201/98201_Universal_Shock_Mount.htm
The shocks I have now won't work because they won't have enough travel with the shorter mounts. I want to use 5150 shocks in the back and 5160 up front. The problem is I am shock dumb and not sure which ones to get. What I'm mostly worried about is getting ones that will work with the shorter shock mounts in the rear. Also what valving should I get for both front and back. My cherokee has a 4.5 RE lift with 33" tires. I have a jcroffroad front bumper, sliders, transfer case skid and gas tank skid so it has some added weight. I want good road manners since it gets driven on the road and also good offroad, mostly woods, trails, mud and some rocks. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Since you are changing the mounts you will need to measure the colapsed and extended lengths and order the shock by length. Bilstein 5160 has application specific valving that should work if the lengths are still right, other wise look at the 5165. 255/70 valving is good for all around usage but if you find you need a change either the 5160 or 5165 can be converted to revalvable by Bilstein. The 5150 is not revalvable.

thanks for the help. i understand now that i will have to measure the rear but what about the front? what 5160 do i need to get for the front? i know i want 255/70 valving but what about travel?

Back