• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical issue with passenger blinker/brake light

CowboyTex18

NAXJA Forum User
So I am having an issue with my 99 Jeep XJ. I fixed some bad wiring in my rear hatch bend that fixed some issues, but I still have one that I can’t figure out. So my passenger blinker blinks fine until the brakes are applied and then it blinks twice as fast. I was able to find out that it would stop whenever the passenger door was open(whenever the door jamb switch wasn’t pressed). I am sure it is a ground issue but am not sure where else to look. I have the led the connectors and grounds behind spare tire location in the back. I have also checked the connections and bulbs and they are all good. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would start with the FSM and look for shorted wires.

Do both lights ground on the driver’s side behind the panel where the tire carrier goes? I checked the grounds there. Not sure where else it would ground at.

Well after doing more digging for the third day in a row I think I might have found the issue. I recently replaced floor pans and seat brackets and don’t think I reattached ground G303 back to the seat mounting bracket whenever I put them back in. Makes sense looking at the below diagrams. There is literally nothing worse than chasing electrical issues. I can’t check until tomorrow morning due to working evenings but I will report back tomorrow!

6297920ec0761fbc2b6ae93b75ae8737.jpg

345c51d291aa75811898766648c1522b.jpg

Almost anytime one tail light causes flashing in another bulb or changes the flash rate is a ground related problem.
Nothing new for a vehicle known for ground problems.

so.
About a year ago I had realized the plastic bits inside my bulb housing had rotted/melted.
I Have found this on like 5 other xj's in the last year.
pull the bulb. inspect the receptacle. keep it simple :)

Welp it was ground 3030 on the seat mounting bracket. I tucked it behind the wires under the side trim whenever I cut the brackets and floorpans out and forgot to hook it back up. Hooked it up and everything is working lot it should!

Back