• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help oring filter adapter , still leaks after instaling new orings?

OOPS... The internal bore is 1.050" ID out at the bolt head, but at the point where the o-ring seal is made the bore is 1.002" This changes the o-ring choice

Internal adapter to bolt:
Adapter bore ID: 1.002”
Groove OD: 0.836”
Groove Width: 0.145
Seal type: static bore seal

O-ring: 2.5 mm X 20 mm Buna-N 70 durometer
Stretch: 6%
Squeeze: 15%

Please ignore the above information for Internal adapter to bolt!

OOPS... The internal bore is 1.050" ID out at the bolt head, but at the point where the o-ring seal is made the bore is 1.002" This changes the o-ring choice

Internal adapter to bolt:
Adapter bore ID: 1.002”
Groove OD: 0.836”
Groove Width: 0.145
Seal type: static bore seal

O-ring: 2.5 mm X 20 mm Buna-N 70 durometer
Stretch: 6%
Squeeze: 15%

Please ignore the above information for Internal adapter to bolt!

Nothing to add except praise for working at this from a systematic specification standpoint. Beats the hell out of the "what brand" whack-a-mole. Keep up the good work.

PLAN B - SUCCESS!

I received and installed these o-rings:

Adapter to motor: 3.5 mm X 63 mm Buna-N 70 durometer
Adapter to bolt head: 3.5 mm X 33 mm Buna-N 70 durometer
Internal adapter to bolt: 2.5 mm X 20 mm Buna-N 70 durometer

No obvious leaks, holds normal oil pressure.

If the motor or bolt o-rings fail there's oil on the floor. However if the internal o-ring fails then there's a route past the oil filter and I suspect the engine won't maintain oil pressure. This internal o-ring felt good going in.

I'm going of course to keep an eye on oil and oil pressure for a while. These o-rings aren't expensive if you buy from Amazon. I have a bunch of all three types and intend to change all out every time I change the oil filter. Why not?

Thank you for posting your final success.

I expect it is back there a ways, but which year is your motor?

Jeep is 1992 XJ (Cherokee) with 4.0 motor, auto tranny, 4X4

This jeep has a yellow sticker on firewall that cautions about oil filter threads.

The o-rings may not work for all 1992 XJ 4.0. There may be in-year changes.

The successful o-rings were (copied from above)

Adapter to motor: 3.5 mm X 63 mm Buna-N 70 durometer
Adapter to bolt head: 3.5 mm X 33 mm Buna-N 70 durometer
Internal adapter to bolt: 2.5 mm X 20 mm Buna-N 70 durometer

I purchased from Amazon and The Oring Store. I believe all three can be had from Amazon and all can be purchased from The Oring Store.

I can't guarantee these will work in your situation. If you use them carefully watch oil pressure since the failure of the internal o-ring may cause this to drop to a point where the motor can be damaged. Watch for exterior leaks.

Update on o-ring install: I've operated my XJ now 3000 miles and for 3 weeks daily. No leaks! Looks like the o-ring replace holds pressure. I've got lots of sets of these o-rings. Maybe I'll swap them at each oil filter change.

And the new o-rings have cured my persistent oil leak.

Symptoms of my leak were oil on the ground of course but I always saw oil right on the outboard lower edge of the oil filter adapter. Oil on the starter motor as well. All dry now.

Mike

Back