• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safety Requirements (Please Read)

Mike in NJ

NAXJA Life Member
NAXJA Member
Ok folks, we're just about a month away (can't wait, can we?) - keep in mind that, as with all NAXJA events, all participating vehicles must meet NAXJA's minimum safety requirements.

There will be a safety inspection prior to the event, and a successful rig will be rewarded by a stylish window sticker of various shades (more on that later).

[b:d3603a5b43]
Minimum Safety Requirements:

Legally required (by state) automobile insurance and registration

Front and rear tow hooks, shackles or receivers

Safety belts for all passengers

FULL size spare tire, jack and lug wrench

Tow rope (no metal hooks allowed), strap or winch

Fire extinguisher

First aid kit
[/b:d3603a5b43]

Don't have some of these? Then, get your butt in gear- you've got a month to come up with 'em!!!

In addition, here's some other recommendations:

A functioning CB radio - permanent or handheld (This one should actually be a minimum requirement, and it is highly recommended!)

Appropriate Tools

A 2nd Fire Extinguisher

Duct Tape

Rocker Protection or Armor

Skid Plates (at least Transfer Case and Gas Tank)

Tires in Good Condition (especially sidewalls)
[i:d3603a5b43] Note: AT's are usually better than MT's for this terrain [/i:d3603a5b43]

One Gallon of Water per person

Hi-energy snacks

Critical vehicle fluids (engine oil, ATF, Coolant, Gear Oil) Gasoline only in approved, well mounted EXTERIOR containers. Better choice: make sure you are FULL before you start the trail)

Hi-Lift Jack

Spare Parts (especially hoses and belts. Machined parts if you REALLY are concerned)

Tarp, spare rope

Emergency Signaling devices

Detailed Topo Maps / GPS

Change of clothing/shoes, warmer outerwear, blanket

Finally, a bit more on the color of the stickers. This year, we would like to make it easier for the trail leaders to identify, at a glance, if their participants are minimally equipped for the difficulties for the trail in question - so, the safety sticker will be color coded to match GRNT's classifications of Easy, Moderate, Hard, and Very Difficult.

You can read GRNT's full suggestions for those classes in the Trail Schedule posts, but, for purposes of the inspection and sticker, we'll go with the following:

EASY: Stock XJ (pretty damn good in it's own right)

MODERATE: Minimum - 30" tires, Minimum - T-case skid

HARD: Minimum - 31" tires, T-case/Gas Tank skids, Traction Aiding Device (Locker or LSD) on at least one axle.

VERY DIFFICULT: Minimum 32" tires, AT LEAST ONE Locker (or BOTH axles with LSD's)

[b:d3603a5b43]Safety standards are mandatory, however, Trail leaders have final discretion over vehicle class exceptions.[/b:d3603a5b43]

Safety Inspectors (sub-branch of the TSA)

Mike in NJ
Casper
Joe Furlong

See ya soon:

Mike in NJ

[quote:a3ac68150e]Better choice: make sure you are FULL before you start the trail)

I wonder why you would put that suggestion in there Mike :twisted:

Sean[/quote:a3ac68150e]

First Trail, First Day, TWO YEARS AGO! This is a tough audience, no one ever forgets the smallest, dumbest things, do they? What, no black hood jokes?

Then again, those that drive "glass" XJ's shouldn't throw slickrock (or something like that!!!) :D

Mike in NJ

You know something

I still have about a half-dozen green stickers from last year that havent been removed yet, am I pre-inspected?

Hey Mike - can you bring me out that once NAC stickers (and prob'ly some for everyone else)

[img:a5b16b0c85]http://www.fototime.com/EEB1A0A82D41DFC/standard.jpg[/img:a5b16b0c85]

Mike, a little FYI.....

I will have with me my climbing gear....

I'm bringing it because its some kind of "habit" when i go out to Moab....too bad my fingers aren't up for any real climbing.....

but.....

keep this as a mental "safety list" note.....

someone in the group has this kind of equipment "just in case" you never know right?

If OneStub falls into a canyon and hurts himself, it will be good to know someone will be able to desecend to him in order to finish him off.

Ya know, somewhere in that note is a good bust, Beez. But, since you were kind enough NOT to recount the incident which led to my black hood replacement - I'll just let it go. You can continue to concentrate on Eagle as your East Coast geriatric target.

Good idea with the gear - I can put my high angle rescue training to the test - of course, only to recover usable parts from Easy.

And. for TS Administrator Furlong:

Since green may be the choice for the Easy category, you can keep all of the green stickers you want - or cover them over with NAC stickers - I'll have plenty of those along! Oh, one more thing, Joe - 24-17!! :D

Mike in NJ

[quote:8a39fc4bb9="Mike in NJ"]Ya know, somewhere in that note is a good bust, Beez. But, since you were kind enough NOT to recount the incident which led to my black hood replacement - I'll just let it go. You can continue to concentrate on Eagle as your East Coast geriatric target.
[/quote:8a39fc4bb9]

I'm sorry, Mike. Did you say something? I didn't hear a thing.....Guess it's time to go off "brake" and back to work.

ChiXJeff

Don't forget Mike, I had your back all along even when those pics were first posted ont he non-tech board....

I like to bust my favorite naxja-people, but there's just some things that are not fair game.....that little thing "down by the river" is one of them.....

God knows I've fawked up a ton in my day, and maybe some time I'll fawk up big in your presence, and you'll remember to forget it...... :oops:

Safety Req. Question

I live in SLC and I am planning on coming down to moab for the fall fling, but I have a question regarding the safety requirements before I register. I laid my jeep on its side over easter and broke the mirror off. My insurance is going to pay for all of the damages, but I don't want to fix it until after moab. My car registration ran up last month and I cannot pass safety inspection without the mirror. So I won't have current registration for the event, and I'm just wondering if this is going to be a problem or not. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks, Mark

Mark...

If you have seen Sean Rose's XJ you wouldn't have to ask!!! :)
You going to tow down? See you there!

Hey, my junk is registered at least :? I don't know how legal it is. I won't officialy say bring it down, but unoficially I'll say go ahead and come out and play with us.

Sean

Re: Safety Req. Question

[quote:e81ff65a37="Mark R."]I live in SLC and I am planning on coming down to moab for the fall fling, but I have a question regarding the safety requirements before I register. I laid my jeep on its side over easter and broke the mirror off. My insurance is going to pay for all of the damages, but I don't want to fix it until after moab. My car registration ran up last month and I cannot pass safety inspection without the mirror. So I won't have current registration for the event, and I'm just wondering if this is going to be a problem or not. Please let me know ASAP.[/quote:e81ff65a37]

Mark, you really can only get a GOOD answer to your question backchannel. If you need more info, I'd say to e-mail Danno or GRNT, but they're both gone already. E-mail me if you want, [email protected]

See you there, :)

Richard G

Back