• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needing some help

whycantitbeT/C

NAXJA Forum User
Okay i may seem ignorant... And for the most part this is going to be because i am .. Sorry in advance..

I Just got a 95 Xj this weekend.. Traded my dirtbike for it Because my knees cant take riding anymore and i have had a blast the few times i have been..

Anyways.. Any input will be great..

I will start out with what i know.. (This is not much) Go easy on me i know about cars... But all i have every done is old cars.. My 69 fairlane500, a 65 mustang and my 1970 gmc that is almost done... But i know nothing about lifted anything lol...

Anyways the jeep:

inline6

auto

5'' lift is what i was told... on 33'' tires

Has dana44

and quick connect sway bar...

Now the problems i am having that i dont know how to fix... (Rear end needs a bearing and seal.. Needs new brakes pads Are the other problems but no big deal i know how to do that lol)

This thing drives like shit on the road.... You hit a bump and you would think you are going be tossed off the road... (Drives great in the mud up hills, rocks and everything else That you do going slow)

But on the way to the shop where i do most of my work i was scared to get this thing over 40 unless it was a perfectly smooth road...

What do i need to be looking for? What should i do?

Atm i am on a very low budjet... But want to get a list of things going that i should do...

Here are some pictures and i can get more of what ever you like to help you guys help me!

Jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

Photo-0063.jpg

Thanks cant wait to learn about what the hell this thing is! Lol

You need to check all of the front end/steering parts for play. It sounds like the usual "death wobble" type issues. It also sounds like there is alot of bumpsteer. This is caused by the angle between the drag link and the trac bar being different. This can be addressed by possibly a dropped pitman arm or relocating the trac bar.

You need to check all of the front end/steering parts for play. It sounds like the usual "death wobble" type issues. It also sounds like there is alot of bumpsteer. This is caused by the angle between the drag link and the trac bar being different. This can be addressed by possibly a dropped pitman arm or relocating the trac bar.

Got it to the shop last night... Then got side tracked and went to play out on the land we have to go trail riding lol but going out there tonight to check everything out..

I will check everything out to make sure everthing is tight... from the little checking i did when it showed up at my house everything seemed good but i will get it lifted up tonight and check it completely

Explain bump steer to me also new term for me...

And death wobble seems to be a very good way to explain the way this thing drives lol

You need to get under it with all four wheels on the ground. Use a bright spotlight, and have a friend turn the wheel slowly left and right while you observe each component looking for odd movements: TREs, track bar, UCA/LCA, you need check your steering gear and the frame/aluminum spacer, check the ball joints and unit bearings, and use a tape measure and check the toe, and don't forget the steering stabilizer.

I'm no expert, but you may want to get some shorter rear shackles. Those are huge and it looks like your leaf packs are really flat.

make sure the front axle is centered on the vehicle from the second picture it looks like it's being pulled to the driver side.

Yeah got down there last night its a stock trac bar and it does sit to the drivers side... Suggestions?

You need to get under it with all four wheels on the ground. Use a bright spotlight, and have a friend turn the wheel slowly left and right while you observe each component looking for odd movements: TREs, track bar, UCA/LCA, you need check your steering gear and the frame/aluminum spacer, check the ball joints and unit bearings, and use a tape measure and check the toe, and don't forget the steering stabilizer.

Everything thing seemed to be tight i did not measure everything though.. Going to go over everything this weekend again with my step dad... He works on cars for a living so he will know alot more then me..

Bump steer is when the axle moves and causes the steering to jerk due to the difference in angles between the drag link and the trac bar. When the angles are not parallel the steering moves when the axle compresses or extends.

Thank you!

I'm no expert, but you may want to get some shorter rear shackles. Those are huge and it looks like your leaf packs are really flat.

And yes the shackles are huge and will be addressed in time... At the moment i am just trying to get this thing to handle a little better up front.. And fix a few things that need addressed first..

And a few more things i learned about the jeep last night (Some i have already said now but for the list lol)

Stock trac bar (Need to figure out what i should do about this)

Was told by a friend maybe drop the pitman arm? Guess i will be reading about this today..

and i have to figure out what my d44 is out of so i can figure out what pads i need for my drums ...

Thanks for the help from everyone who replied! And it everyone else who will help me even more :patriot:

Okay so went to read a little... And now understand pretty much what i have been told what to do..

Trac bar needs to be longer and pit man arm needs a drop

(I have to see something to understand)

Any suggestions on what trac bar i should look at for my jeep? And how much of a drop i should be looking at for the pit man arm?

One more question ... And i know i am not using the right terms so bare with me..

The front rear end.. The drive shaft going in to it has a ton of play.. I can move it around quite a bit ... My guess was i just need the bearing and seal... Is there going to be more to this?

Okay so went to read a little... And now understand pretty much what i have been told what to do..

Trac bar needs to be longer and pit man arm needs a drop

(I have to see something to understand)

Any suggestions on what trac bar i should look at for my jeep? And how much of a drop i should be looking at for the pit man arm?

One more question ... And i know i am not using the right terms so bare with me..

The front rear end.. The drive shaft going in to it has a ton of play.. I can move it around quite a bit ... My guess was i just need the bearing and seal... Is there going to be more to this?
Probably just bearings and seal but I would pull the front diff apart and look at all the parts. If there is that much play there may well be other big issues. Also, I have a trac bar relocating bracket you can have if you want to pay shipping.

Probably just bearings and seal but I would pull the front diff apart and look at all the parts. If there is that much play there may well be other big issues. Also, I have a trac bar relocating bracket you can have if you want to pay shipping.

Sorry for another dumb question... But will any trac bar i get need it? If so yes i will take it off your hands :D

And Alright I have all next week to get it fixed so i will just pull it this weekend.. Trying to make it up to Amarillo for a trip with this thing on the 26th And want everything to be up to par :wave1:

you definately need a longer trac bar. look into an adjustable trac bar or buy some heim joints and dom and build your own. just make sure your drag link and trac bar are the same angle. if you join the red river chapter there's abunch of xj folks in the dallas area and some even seem halfway intelligent so i'm sure if you ask nice some would be willing to come over and help you. also look into joining lonestar jeep club if you haven't already there's also abunch of jeepers up there that like to help folks out

oh and also make sure your draglink is gonna be long enough when you move your axle over and into place. if you want i can shoot some pics of my setup so you can see what i had to do to fix my death wobble with 5" of lift

you definately need a longer trac bar. look into an adjustable trac bar or buy some heim joints and dom and build your own. just make sure your drag link and trac bar are the same angle. if you join the red river chapter there's abunch of xj folks in the dallas area and some even seem halfway intelligent so i'm sure if you ask nice some would be willing to come over and help you. also look into joining lonestar jeep club if you haven't already there's also abunch of jeepers up there that like to help folks out

oh and also make sure your draglink is gonna be long enough when you move your axle over and into place. if you want i can shoot some pics of my setup so you can see what i had to do to fix my death wobble with 5" of lift

Yup working on the track bar now.. am going to get my rear end fixed first though.. How much off a difference did it make for you fixing the trac bar?

And alright i will check some of them out.. Never really done the club thing i mostly just go with my girls dad and his friends..

And yes pictures would be awesome to see what i am aiming for!

Thank you for the help

I picked up the new Rough country Double shear trac-bar and bracket for like $120 from rough-country.. I would start there!

And then.. a good upgrade for steering is Junkyard V8 ZJ package or something like the JCR 1 ton stuff.

Back