• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power to starter relay?...

Rockpig

NAXJA Forum User
Complete ground up rebuild. Swapped in aw4 from ax15. No neutral safety switch no hook up, was manual trans before. Have all put back together. No crank. Checked starter relay no trigger no supply. Ignition switch operating as it should. All new good grounds and wires. 1991 4.0 xj fuel pump all works except no power to starter relay. Will turn over if starter is triggered manually small wire from starter is good to relay. Any help. Maybe clutch safety switch?

A 1991 doesn't have a clutch switch. The manual wiring harness should be providing the ground to the starter relay, whereas the automatic wiring harness routes the ground through the neutral safety switch. I didn't need to do anything with the starter relay when I swapped my 89 from the ax15 to the aw4.

Looking at the starter relay in the PDC, the trigger coil should already be grounded and the triger voltage comes from the ignition switch. Looks like power to the contacts that feed the starter solenoid come from fuse F5 in the PDC.

Thanks, still no start but turns over with key 50 psi at fuel rail tried twice to hit but still no start will check injector signal and spark tomorrow thank you for your reply. Any other ideas?

Back