• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tesla...The car...not the hair band!

Well the car is zero emmissions but will increase the output the energy company has to match hence driving up the pollution from them. Car itself looks good. The 0-60 times sounds damn good.

Sarge

i like it.... good idea but 1. it sounds like an RC car 2. like what sarge said if everyone had one the electric company would have to pump out electricity which uses fossil fuel anyway!! but i guess there going more not to conserve gas but to save the environment which is good

I have been hearing quite a bit about this car lately. Too bad all their statistics aren't exactly right.

It will go 250 Miles per charge but only if you are only using 40% of its power output...which really slows it down.

Sorry but when the dude said electric cars will be the wave of the future I almost laughed.

chelms27 said:
the hair band rules.....electric cars are for liberal fuc$s

Agreed. The band rocks. They are better than the car. I have a Tesla CD on my HDD. I have yet to be able to do that with a car.

(sorry, lame.. I know. But I like the band).

Sexy little car, too bad it'll be a rich man's toy.

Anybody here find it funny that they act as if Lithium batteries are the greatest thing to hit the segment, but at the same time Li-Ion laptop batteries are getting recalled and Li-Po r/c batteries and still carry a major risk if miss treated.

First off, they are right, zero emission cars are the wave of the future. We will see more and more of them in the coming years. The technology is still in it's infancy. It will improve as time goes by. As for whether they actually reduce emissions, they will. Power plants are much cleaner than cars. Also, not all electicity comes from oil powered power plants. I'm for anything that helps reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I'd love to see us not have to buy any oil from countries that mean us harm. As far as I'm concerned, the Saudis, Iraqis and Iranians can drink the shit.

41031.gif

I find it funny how many people have this hard on against electric vehicles. When the technology matures it will be much better than our old Internal Combustion engines, what they have to figure out is the storage (batteries) and the regeneration of power and it'll be NICE.

As for the deffered emissions, yes most power plants do produce pollution and some use oil. However they are more efficient than vehicles (eaiser to fine tune the systems if you're not having so much varying load) and some are truly green. On the topic of power all we need to do is figure out what to do with nuclear waste and build more nuke plants; they're efficent as hell these days.

I'd rock a Tesla if I had the coin.

GSequoia said:
On the topic of power all we need to do is figure out what to do with nuclear waste

Ship it to heaven?

An omnipotent entity should be able to purify it right?

I was thinking dump it all over the middle east but then that would screw up the oil supply...

Bueller?

I would love to have an electric XJ.
You can't beat the instant torque, but the weight of the batteries would be tremendous!

I wonder when I will be able to convert it to hydrogen and not even need to buy water for wheeling.
Imagine having a collection tank in an icechest with a spiggot on the side.
Now, that's cutting edge.

Clean coal (yeah, that's a whole 'nother argument in itself!) and nuclear will be with us for a loooonnngg time, and we have lots of both, so from an energy independence stand point this is good. Recharge times and range seem to be problematic though.

Honda is already producing a hydrogen car, Iceland is 76% H powered already with easy access to public company Hydrogen refill stations and they are very proud of it like their geo thermal power generation.
Hondas setup includes a home station that generates hydrogen for the fuel cell. Corporations are the main blockers of the new technology. Sure as heck the various industrys dont want the individual to be totally independent, Hondas issue is do they sell the generators or lease them, sell them and it's a one shot deal, redesign them somehow so you have replace certain parts, annodes for example, on a statistical basis though splitting H2O is a pretty basic thing, submarines have been doing it for over 50 years only the dump the the hydrogen and keep the oxygen. Lease them and there is a steady income stream, residuals is the name of the game. It's all based on what I call the 'drug addict' model.
If you read some of the interviews with the tesla people they plan on a 4 passenger model after the hot rods are done, going to be in the high $35's to $40K bracket with a 350+ mile range but even that will change as newer battery technology comes out. Couple that with the leaps and bounds that solar cell technology has made where they now produce electricity on both sides of the visible light spectrum, IR ranges and their improved efficiency it's only a matter of time.

As for new nuke power reactors, it used to be that the subs I was on needed to be re-cored every 6-7 years, the new reactors are good for 20+ before recoring, thats a major milestone in nuclear waste reduction. What we really need is to get the politicians out, let the Navy design a standard core model that is modular and can be removed quickly and replaced then build them. These 'one off' designs of the past plants are a nite mare with each one totally different from the others. Heck, a submarines reactor is not much bigger than say a small dumpster and can power 4 westinghouse 5,000 KW steam turbines and for a size reference would take up about the same foot print as a medium sized ranch house.

Last edited:
Damn it Rich, now you've got me wondering.......

What would they do with the oxygen produced, release it into the atmosphere (sp?) or keep it for other commercial uses and is there a chance the EPA might find a reason to whine about it?

bjoehandley said:
Damn it Rich, now you've got me wondering.......

What would they do with the oxygen produced, release it into the atmosphere (sp?) or keep it for other commercial uses and is there a chance the EPA might find a reason to whine about it?

Unless you have a family member, friend or neighbor who needs O2 you just release it. however I see no reason you could not sell it to hospital supply chains though I imagine the current suppliers have lobbyists in washington and state govt that would oppose that competetion. Submarines have been releasing hydrodgen for years...

The polution made in generating the electricity to go a mile is greater than the polution a gas engine would generate going the same distance. Sure you dont cause exaust gasses but really the earth is no better off. I guess they can call this a zero emissions vehicle because all the polution occurs upstream.

All current "electric cars" require a significant battery capacity. These cars are called "enviromentally clean."

Do you want to live next to a battery production factory? How 'bout a battery "recycling" plant? What would you rather be pumped into your house, the stuff that comes out the tailpipe of an XJ or the stuff coming out of a battery plant?

These cars just change where the pollution occurs, compared to a traditional internal-combustion engine. Until we figure out a truly lower-impact form of energy (and I think this won't happen until we drain every last drop of feasibly-obtained oil), I'm not gonna buy a hybrid or "electric" car. Or, for that matter, a hydrogen-powered car.

Why the anti-hydrogen? The output of a hydrogen powered car is water. What's the most effective greenhouse gas? Nope, not CO2 (sorry Al Gore) - it's water vapor. Picture every car currently on the road (plus projected auto growth in places like China and India) spitting out water - seems to me that's a significant increase in water vapor in our atmosphere, which would be a true threat to the global temperature.

Me? I'm going Flintstone - holes cut in the floor. You passengers wanna get to Vail? Fine, start running. Wanna stop so we don't smash into that tree? Fine, slam the feets down and don't stop 'till they're oversized and red. I'm surprised Gore hasn't figured out the benefits of going Flintstone.

ColoCherokees said:
All current "electric cars" require a significant battery capacity. These cars are called "enviromentally clean."

Do you want to live next to a battery production factory? How 'bout a battery "recycling" plant? What would you rather be pumped into your house, the stuff that comes out the tailpipe of an XJ or the stuff coming out of a battery plant?

These cars just change where the pollution occurs, compared to a traditional internal-combustion engine. Until we figure out a truly lower-impact form of energy (and I think this won't happen until we drain every last drop of feasibly-obtained oil), I'm not gonna buy a hybrid or "electric" car. Or, for that matter, a hydrogen-powered car.

Why the anti-hydrogen? The output of a hydrogen powered car is water. What's the most effective greenhouse gas? Nope, not CO2 (sorry Al Gore) - it's water vapor. Picture every car currently on the road (plus projected auto growth in places like China and India) spitting out water - seems to me that's a significant increase in water vapor in our atmosphere, which would be a true threat to the global temperature.

Me? I'm going Flintstone - holes cut in the floor. You passengers wanna get to Vail? Fine, start running. Wanna stop so we don't smash into that tree? Fine, slam the feets down and don't stop 'till they're oversized and red. I'm surprised Gore hasn't figured out the benefits of going Flintstone.

What makes you think you have to Vent the water out to atmosphere ? If you have an onboard [we called them oxygen generators] you just need to collect the H20 from the waste output of the fuel cell or exhaust into a condenser and then into an onboard tank, plug the car in when you get home, process the water again and probably add some as the process is not a total no loss process. Think of an air conditioning system. The water used for this should be distilled otherwise you end up with a lot of slag and crap when you split the H2O on the plates depending on the content of the water. We used a 500 gallon per day seawater distiller for both reactor water generation [rarely] and to feed the oxy generators, usually ran it every other day to supply distilled water to the O2 generators to keep 140 people breathing, the 5000 gallon perday seawater distiller was used for drinking, showers, cooking, etc which we added minerals to for drinking and cooking.
It is very doable, the main roadblock is the cost of the fuel cells, those puppies are expensive. In the case of a Hydrogen IC motor less so.

I was always fascinated by the theory of a gyroscopic flywheel engine, spin a 3ton flywheel up to 100,000+rpm over nite then drive it the next day, overcoming inertia becomes interesting though when changing direction, think of a 3 ton gyroscope.

Enough dreaming, time for breakfast.

Back