• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper/Receiver build and SFR shackles boxes

Pretty damn clean. Is there a pad under the arm. Good to see someone else with makita tools. Makitas 1/2" tools are incredible

I will screw a Delron pad right under the "elbow" and directly behind my securing plate and nut assembly. I am working on that along with doing as much full welding as I can get done for now. I still new do do the "cut and fold" on the XJ so I can finish the fore-rails.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I know it's personal preference, but why not put the tire on the other side to allow the rearview mirror to be more useful?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It was never a consideration since I wanted to keep the swing arm as short as possible. Amazingly I can see quite a bit over the top of the tire.

Put the swing out bearing on the driver's side?? Still be short and on the other side.

There rear view mirror.

I dont normally notice re view mirrors. In big trucks side mirrors is all there is. So makes no difference wich side spares on. Plus back just back up till jeep bumps something and thats close enough

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Put the swing out bearing on the driver's side?? Still be short and on the other side.

Not in this state, people don't even obey the "move over" law we have in place!

I welded the 2x4 tube to a 1x2 channel, the channel runs for about 15 inches or so into the frame, and cleared under the gas filler pipe. The 2x4 tube was about 6 or 7 inches long on the gas filler side, and full length (about 15 inchs or so) on otherside.

If I had photo posting ability Id show you, but I dont.

I welded the 2x4 tube to a 1x2 channel, the channel runs for about 15 inches or so into the frame, and cleared under the gas filler pipe. The 2x4 tube was about 6 or 7 inches long on the gas filler side, and full length (about 15 inchs or so) on otherside.

That's impossible, maybe if you re-thought what actually did.

here's were I left off yesterday and I'm working on the mount plate as we speak...... got all the welding done that I could and a first grind out, got the ball joint socket welded in and the adjuster is eccentric so I got a little wiggle room right now.
P1080942.JPG

P1080943.JPG

P1080944.JPG

P1080945.JPG

Sorry, I mis-read your post, that should be almost what I made in 1-piece.

how much squat has this given the rear of the jeep?

I can't tell you yet as I am not done, but I would expect not more than a 1/4". The factory bumper and receiver weighed in at 76 lbs but when I get done I will definitely check. Since I'm installing the SFR shackle boxes I had already planned on needing new shackles once it's all complete.

I got the swing out done yesterday (for now), I used the Tig on the top of the spindle and the eccentric cam due to heavy metal and clearance from the seal. The swing out is absolutely rock solid with minimum torque on the bolt plus I used a belleville washer so it's really secure. I will start today on my "cut-n-fold" and hopefully get done this weekend with that.
P1080946.JPG

P1080947.JPG

P1080948.JPG

I got the cut and fold done but it was a major PITA compared to the last one! Besides having to repair the body damage the panels were full of dried mud that had be fully cleaned to do the welding. I'm going to try to finish the bumper this week for a run, but I'm not going to rush things!
P1080891.JPG

P1080950.JPG

P1080949.JPG

I did not need a eccentric, it's just the way that part came. It was a ball joint adjuster off a vehicle spindle, I just cut out the knuckle portion.

I called Eddie Motorsports and ordered a #236 one, they are exchangeable for a year to get the correct weight. They are only 7-1/2" ext w/ a 2-1/2" stroke so quite compact. I also got the returns fitted and tacked up but I also decided to make a adapter for my engine stand because this is getting bulky/heavy so final welding/painting will be easy!
P1080952.JPG

P1080951.JPG

P1080953.JPG

I got the returns done and also the safety chain mounts. I have the top plate welded but haven't done the grinding yet but I got the backside all painted.
P1080955.JPG

P1080956.JPG

P1080957.JPG

I got it done and painted(less a few issues). Yesterday I got the lift strut and am working on that as we speak, but unless I get better math I am short about 1/8" of stroke. Today I received my steel order to cut out the shackle/d-ring mounts and those still need welded. I just ordered a longer strut but it was at less weight, we'll see what happens between the 2. The bumper weight came in great at a 104 lbs but is stronger/lighter/higher/and tighter than any class 3 bumper/ hitch out there.
P1080958.JPG

P1080959.JPG

P1080960.JPG

Back