• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CAD and Stiffeners

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Yup, lots of threads on both topics but not finding specific answer.

About to install drop brackets with approx 4.5" lift (up from 3.5"). I have JKS adjustable upper and lower control arms (short). Also considering frame stiffeners, yet to be chosen from some recommended here. Not going long arms.

Having never seen either CAD or stiffies installed curious whether the stiffies need to go on prior to the CAD? CAD are bolt-on?

Considering whether to bother with stiffeners. Some off camber and rock stuff but 90% 'trail'. How much reinforcement do winch bumper, hd rear bumper, gas tank skid, steering support, transfer case skid, and rock sliders contribute?

Thanks.

I've read the instructions on two sets of the CAD brackets - RE and RCX. You do have to drill into the bottom of the frame rails as part of bolting on reinforcement brackets.

I' that bolt to the rear face of the new LCA pocket and extend back along the framed The rest of the install all seems to be within the OEM control arm pockets. tend to think that unless the stiffeners wrap around the bottom of the rails they're not going to interfere with each other, but have that's just a guess.

if you have the ability to do the stiffeners yourself then the drop brackets can be easily modified for the stiffeners. personally the self tapers that RE and RCX use into the frame rail arent really meant for abuse. i would stitch weld the brace to the stiffener and drop bracket in a manner that can be cut away easily if you ever decide to change things.

much stronger that way.

if you have the ability to do the stiffeners yourself then the drop brackets can be easily modified for the stiffeners. personally the self tapers that RE and RCX use into the frame rail arent really meant for abuse. i would stitch weld the brace to the stiffener and drop bracket in a manner that can be cut away easily if you ever decide to change things.

much stronger that way.

On that note, it sounds like the CAD could be installed, bolts only/no welds, then removed if I decided on stiffies at a later date. I get why the stitch weld for sure.

Thanks.

drops first, then cut away the stiffener section you don't need.

drops first, then cut away the stiffener section you don't need.

I like that answer.

Thinking IRO since they seem well liked around here. Have their 3.5" leaf springs with add-a-leaf coming Thursday.

I like that answer.

Thinking IRO since they seem well liked around here. Have their 3.5" leaf springs with add-a-leaf coming Thursday.

drop first, remove when its time to stiffen.

ultimately the stiffeners is what you want the braces tied too... trying to key the stiffener into the bracket is going to be a lot more work than just dropping the bracket for the stiffener install and putting it back later.

I had both. Drops first. Added the stiffeners later and just drilled or elongated the necessary holes to bolt the drops back on. Wasn’t that hard really.

a18b960d5096ad668eecb7edd5670db3.jpg

Last edited:
Back