• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end shake

Kamh13

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. It is lifted about 3” with 31” tires. I just recently went from 30’s to 31’s and started noticing a shake in the steering wheel from the front end around 55mph. It’s not death wobble, but it’s a pretty violent shake/vibration. Above or below it drives fine other than a little bump-steer. I know I don’t have wheel/tire problems. I had the current tires rebalanced. Also had a different set of 31’s from a different Jeep on it with the same result. I’ve did the front end test by having someone else shake the steering wheel by watching all the tie rod ends, joints, etc. Everything looks fine including ball joints and wheel bearings. Just the other day it started shaking worse when I applied the brakes. First thought was warped rotors, but it only shakes in the same 55mph range as it did before. I just ordered control arm bushings. Other than that, I’m stumped. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Link to a video of the shaking is below.
https://youtube.com/shorts/MzL9uGI68Yw?feature=share

Did you adjust your driveline angle after the lift? Are you running a transfer case drop, SYE, etc?

Did you have the vibration with the previous tires?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Did you adjust your driveline angle after the lift? Are you running a transfer case drop, SYE, etc?

Did you have the vibration with the previous tires?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I do not have an SYE or TC drop, but it doesn’t feel like driveline vibes to me. It didn’t do it either until I went to 31’s, or at least I didn’t notice it with the lighter tires.

You definitely need to do a alignment as that's still a form of death wobble. You need to check all your steering/suspension components.

What brand of tires and wheels?

What brand of tires and wheels?

They’re dextero DAT1 all terrains from Walmart. They’re a cheaper tire but I don’t suspect them to be the issue because I’ve had a completely different set of 31’s on it from my dads Jeep and it still shakes.

Well the only thing that changes with tire size is the amount of toe but you still have a under-lying issue that's allowing the movement in your system.

Is the front axle centered under the body with an adjustable Track Bar ?

I recently fixed a death wobble by replacing the stock frame side track bar bracket bolts. The old bolts had rusted away at the bracket, and allowed the bracket to wiggle. No amount of added torque would hold the bracket, the bolts were actually melted away.

Is the front axle centered under the body with an adjustable Track Bar ?

I recently fixed a death wobble by replacing the stock frame side track bar bracket bolts. The old bolts had rusted away at the bracket, and allowed the bracket to wiggle. No amount of added torque would hold the bracket, the bolts were actually melted away.

Stock track bar. You’re talking the bracket itself, not where the bar mounts to it?

Yes, that and the steering box spacer/bolts are also a common cause.

Front axle U-joints can cause a speed-sensitive vibration. Almost identical to a tire balance vibration and at about the same speed. Usually at around 60 MPH+/- is when it is the worst.
A visual inspection of the U-joints and an issue often doesn't show up, but there is a trick, look for rust dust on the U-joint cap rubber seal. Or do it right, jack up one side and try to spin the tire with a long extension or something similar jammed in the U-joint and look for play at the rubber seal. Any play at all and the U-joint is failing.
Worth a look, I check mine periodically anyway, usually during my springtime or pre-winter inspection.

Front axle U-joints can cause a speed-sensitive vibration. Almost identical to a tire balance vibration and at about the same speed. Usually at around 60 MPH+/- is when it is the worst.
A visual inspection of the U-joints and an issue often doesn't show up, but there is a trick, look for rust dust on the U-joint cap rubber seal. Or do it right, jack up one side and try to spin the tire with a long extension or something similar jammed in the U-joint and look for play at the rubber seal. Any play at all and the U-joint is failing.
Worth a look, I check mine periodically anyway, usually during my springtime or pre-winter inspection.

I do have a bad axle u joint. Didn’t know of it would cause that much of a shake, but it’s a cheap fix if so

The 4 bolts, track bar bracket to frame. Happened on two different Cherokees.

I have had a few front axle u-joints go bad or that were all worn out on some newly purchased and previous owner neglected XJ's, but they never caused any kind of wobble unless turning very sharply and driving very slow.

They’re dextero DAT1 all terrains from Walmart. They’re a cheaper tire but I don’t suspect them to be the issue because I’ve had a completely different set of 31’s on it from my dads Jeep and it still shakes.

I also have some taking up space in the garage that you could have for free.

OH! WAIT! I replaced them at less tan 3,000 miles because of a nagging wobble between 55 and 65 MPH. Not saying the tires are the problem but still,....

I had them balanced 4 times during those 3,000 miles. Follow the advise given by the others, i.e. inspect the entire front suspension for worn or loose parts. And do not forget to do an alignment.

Also, check the steering box. If loose from the frame. Replace the aluminum bracket with an aftermarket steel. Check around the gear box for cracks to the frame.

Back