• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Searching for shims.

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Does anyone make long /ger steel shims for the XJ? I finally installed the Rubicon D44 in the rear of the XJ. The spring perches are longer and higher than the OEM set, 8 inches long and,... well I do not know how much higher but it need about a 3 degree shim to get the pinion angle right. I do like the longer leaf spring perch and would like to get shims equal in length to the perch.

I've never seen longer shims than what RE sells. The long perches usually are drilled with +/0/- center pin wholes. Why didn't you set the perches before welding?

Offroad design has various shim sizes you'll need to drill your pack and perch to accept the 5/8" center pin. The hole through the leafs needs to be 7/16"
This gets you into more adjustability all around and kinda away from the small pin jeep stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've never seen longer shims than what RE sells. The long perches usually are drilled with +/0/- center pin wholes. Why didn't you set the perches before welding?

I should have done a test fit before welding the perches on but I did not. I welded them on at the same angle as the OEM ones. however the higher perches changed the pinion angle.

Offroad design has various shim sizes you'll need to drill your pack and perch to accept the 5/8" center pin. The hole through the leafs needs to be 7/16"
This gets you into more adjustability all around and kinda away from the small pin jeep stuff.

Thank you. I will definitely look into that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just make sure you get steel shims and realize that a 3* shim will net you about 4.3* of total change.

Just make sure you get steel shims and realize that a 3* shim will net you about 4.3* of total change.

The pinion is looking down 5 degrees, 8 drive shaft verses pinion 13 degrees. I have a set that are about 3 degrees 4 inches long. I removed them years ago when I installed longer shackles. My XJ is sporting 4.5 inches of lift with 6 inch shackles.

The pinion is looking down 5 degrees,.. I have a set that are about 3 degrees 4 inches long. I removed them years ago when I installed longer shackles. My XJ is sporting 4.5 inches of lift with 6 inch shackles.

??????????????? Is that "fuzzy" math, there is no way your pinion is pointed down. The two statements do not match?

..and what pinion angle is considered ideal? No issues here but new leaf springs going in so wondering if there will be a change. One thing to measure before and after I guess. Seems like I have 3 or 4* shims in there now. Only expect .5 to 1" more lift.

I bought my shims for my Dana 44 from Tom Woods,

Back