• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinder / Vise Mount

16vvincent

NAXJA Forum User
I know that if you guys are like me, the idea of loosing bench space for a grinder or bench vise sucks. I my case, I had some extra steel lying around and built this:

GrinderStand01_zps69b9c0a1.jpg

GrinderStand02_zps13de0b59.jpg

GrinderStand03_zpsc230ada2.jpg

GrinderStand04_zpsf7853faf.jpg

GrinderStand05_zps4c70c3e7.jpg

The neat thing about this setup is that I can roll this to where I am working. If you notice, I put threaded rods at the casters in the front to screw down and lock the stand and keep it from moving.

About the only thing that I cannot do is hack saw steel manually, unless I am hanging on to the vise. But that is something that I just don't do any more. A $10 HF 4.5" angle grinder with cutoff wheels does that work for me these days.

Nice job.

Someone posted up their idea and it used 2" square tubing so they had only one stand for multiple pieces of equipment.

Note that in my experience most vices need to be mounted to something VERY SOLID, unless it is just a smaller light vise for a "third hand".

Yeah, I have done that as well. My tubing roller and tubing bender are mounted to the same stand. With the tubing roller, this was key to using it. Getting it outside of the garage when working with 20' long peices was the only way that it would work.

BenderStand01_zps62f445e4.jpg

BenderStand02_zps0daad09e.jpg

BenderStand03_zpse5e133bc.jpg

BenderStand04_zps70f3e183.jpg

From the look of your shop, and the quality of your fabwork, I assume you know what you are doing, But i want my vise bolted to a table thats bolted to the wall, OVER the leg so it doesnt move....

That being said, nice fabrication, and nice looking shop. I'd love to see more of your work! Thanks for posting.

For me, most of the time I am using a vise to hold stuff for welding or beating on. Also if you take a look at the wheels, they are across the vise direction of use. When using the vise for cutting or anything requiring force, the wheels are being scrubbed across the floor. The vise mount will actually hold quite well.

But I do agree, that if you need some serious force, the vise would have to be bolted down.

Back