• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Sludge

Running-Snail

NAXJA Forum User
My son has had a great time off-roading with his 89 XJ. The jeep came home with a college buddy, I changed oil and was topping off the transfer case (NP242) when I noticed the fill tubing came out with something looking like mud on it.

The short version: The boys stopped the jeep in a stream! Obviously sucked water in due to rapid cooling/vacuum. Rear seal is shot, front might be too. Pulled drain plug to have sludge drop out.

I've added fluid, gone for a short drive (in full-time 4 wheel) then drained the fluid - done this 4 times. Fluid is starting to look red now!

Any recommendations on flushing the transfer case? Should I run synthetic ATF in it (for detergent action)?

Running-Snail said:
My son has had a great time off-roading with his 89 XJ. The jeep came home with a college buddy, I changed oil and was topping off the transfer case (NP242) when I noticed the fill tubing came out with something looking like mud on it.

The short version: The boys stopped the jeep in a stream! Obviously sucked water in due to rapid cooling/vacuum. Rear seal is shot, front might be too. Pulled drain plug to have sludge drop out.

I've added fluid, gone for a short drive (in full-time 4 wheel) then drained the fluid - done this 4 times. Fluid is starting to look red now!

Any recommendations on flushing the transfer case? Should I run synthetic ATF in it (for detergent action)?
What fill tube?

Maybe try a can of brake cleaner, use the little straw and spray whatever you can through the holes, fill run and repeat. That should work more effectively then just drain and refilling.

seafoam transmission treatment worked good for cleaning out sludge in my transfer case.(drain and filled with new fluid and the whole can of seafom tranny treatment drove for a week then drained and filled again with propper fluid again)

Back