• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

R-IK

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,
I have decided to lift my stock Cherokee (2001, 4.0L, automatic).
After a month or reading any relevant thread in this (great) site I have chosen the following:
1. RE 6030 package (3.5" lift)
2. AA SYE + Tom woods C/V drive shaft
3. RE Adjustable penhard (not the HD)

Now I have to take a decision about the shocks and I'm a little bit confused. I would like to keep my XJ as comfort as I can.
What did you install ? how does it feel (stiffness) comparing to the OEM shocks ? and how does it work in off-road tracks ?

Any suggestions are welcomed ! :compwork:

-- Arik.

I would say OME or Bilstien 5100 or 5150. Both will give you great ride quality and great off road performance.

I just picked up some OME. I know alot of guys run them and like them. I also know the the RE twin tube are pretty good.

I had the RE 3.5" on mine and ran Doetsch Tech 3000's. That's one of the worst decisions I have ever made. The ride was very stiff and felt as if my back was the actual shocks. If you want a more comfortable ride go with OME or Bilstein's.

I thought about the OME too but I'm not so sure regarding their capabilities vs. the RE monotube (that were tested with that kit) in off-road.
I also understood that the RE springs will overcome any set that I'll use. correct me if I wrong...

I ran OME LT's on my RE 3.5 and RE 4.5. My kidneys have thanked me endless times for it on the trail and the street.

If you go OME, you won't be disappointed - much better riding than stock, even with RE's stiffer springs.

88XjLaredo said:
I had the RE 3.5" on mine and ran Doetsch Tech 3000's. That's one of the worst decisions I have ever made. The ride was very stiff and felt as if my back was the actual shocks. If you want a more comfortable ride go with OME or Bilstein's.
x2 DT3000's are the worst shocks out there, the cheapest ones that Checker auto had rode better than them.

XJack said:
I ran OME LT's on my RE 3.5 and RE 4.5. My kidneys have thanked me endless times for it on the trail and the street.

If you go OME, you won't be disappointed - much better riding than stock, even with RE's stiffer springs.

Thanks for the advise.
Is there any chance that you have their part number or the keyword LT is good enough?

R-IK said:
Thanks for the advise.
Is there any chance that you have their part number or the keyword LT is good enough?
I think OME N35 and N40 should be their # for a 3.5-4.5" lift. Those are what I'm thinking of buying too. Don't go with RE Twintubes, they ride horribly stiff, and your kidneys won't be thanking you on that one. I've had them for a year, they may be okay for offroading, but mine is a DD and they suck on road.

BigBlackHeep said:
I think OME N35 and N40 should be their # for a 3.5-4.5" lift. Those are what I'm thinking of buying too. Don't go with RE Twintubes, they ride horribly stiff, and your kidneys won't be thanking you on that one. I've had them for a year, they may be okay for offroading, but mine is a DD and they suck on road.

As far as I know the XJ's OME kit is the #N35 (front) and #N36 (rear) and is valid up to 3". The #N40 was designed for the ZJ which is valid for 3-5".

Do I need to take 'adjustments' into account?

R-IK said:
As far as I know the XJ's OME kit is the #N35 (front) and #N36 (rear) and is valid up to 3". The #N40 was designed for the ZJ which is valid for 3-5".

Do I need to take 'adjustments' into account?

N35 and N36 is correct. What do you mean by adjustments?

Mine were on BPE's front and rear, and I was not shock limiting at 3.5 w/ 31's or 4.5 w/ 33's. Bumpstops are your friend.

XJack said:
N35 and N36 is correct. What do you mean by adjustments?

Mine were on BPE's front and rear, and I was not shock limiting at 3.5 w/ 31's or 4.5 w/ 33's. Bumpstops are your friend.

Regarding the adjustments I referred to the N40 which was designed for ZJ.
The N35&36 were designed to up to 3" suspension lift.

I found in http://www.drivetrain.com/EMU/emucherokeexj84_01/emucherokeexj84_01.html that there is a set of long travel shocks (N35L/N36L Extended Length Shocks) that were designed for 3-5" suspension lifts.

I assume that this is the appropriate set for RE 3.5". correct me if I wrong?

call dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com he will set ya up with the right ome shocks and even lift for a amazing-hard-to-believe price.

I have the 3.5" RE6030 (from dirk) with the OME and it rides just slightly nicer on road than it did stock. (97 4 dr with 90,000 miles then) Does GREAT offroad.

your gonna love that setup. I have been 2 years now and I feel it is the perfect DD/trail setup. I run 32x15 GY MTR's with bumpstops... its great.

I have the exact setup you have minus the panhard. I went with the RE monotube shocks and they are great!!! Whenyou first put the lift on it is going to be a bit stiff. Just go out and flex the crap out of it and before you know it, it will be riding better than stock just like mine. I'll enclose a pic for you from last weekend were I flexed the crap out of mine. Great lift!!!!!
shamokinoctober06039_edited.jpg

shamokinoctober06002.jpg

Semper Fi said:
I have the exact setup you have minus the panhard. I went with the RE monotube shocks and they are great!!! Whenyou first put the lift on it is going to be a bit stiff. Just go out and flex the crap out of it and before you know it, it will be riding better than stock just like mine. I'll enclose a pic for you from last weekend were I flexed the crap out of mine. Great lift!!!!!
shamokinoctober06039_edited.jpg

shamokinoctober06002.jpg

Looks great!
Can't wait to see my XJ dressed with it :cheers:

Back